What's new

Belt attachment - Saddle bag decoration?

1869er

Full Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
142
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this recently, not exactly sure what it is, but it's copper and there is a stone or glass piece still attached to one corner. It's just slightly bigger than a U.S. quarter. I believe it could be from 1900 to 1930 era. Was really corroded when I first found it, but it cleaned up good with electrolysis. Looks like it attaches in the same way a belt would, but it's so small? Someone suggested it was part of a women's shoe? Another person suggested it was part of a saddle or saddle bag. Any ideas? or better yet an exact match??
 

Attachments

  • After.webp
    After.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 262
Yes I agree that it does look like a belt buckle, but the problem is that it's about the size of a US quarter, roughly one inch across. Probably too small for a regular belt, like for pants.
 
Upvote 0
It is a ladies sash buckle. Another piece would've attached to it, and the belt would've been lightweight.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Nice little piece of history :thumbsup: and it still has 25% of it's stones left :icon_sunny:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Cool! Hey thanks BuckleBoy! I did a search in google images under "sash buckle" , and I believe you are correct sir! Is there anyway of dating this piece by the decoration? Seems like the curvy patterns are made up of tiny upraised dots. I bet this could indicate a type of manufacturing and possibly a date of around when it was made.

I figured that it was from early 1900's era because of where I dug it up, as the town where it was found was only around from 1917 to 1930.... However only a few miles away was another town that was founded in the mid 1800's so it's very hard to say exactly how old it is. Any ideas?
 
Upvote 0
1869er said:
Cool! Hey thanks BuckleBoy! I did a search in google images under "sash buckle" , and I believe you are correct sir! Is there anyway of dating this piece by the decoration? Seems like the curvy patterns are made up of tiny upraised dots. I bet this could indicate a type of manufacturing and possibly a date of around when it was made.

I figured that it was from early 1900's era because of where I dug it up, as the town where it was found was only around from 1917 to 1930.... However only a few miles away was another town that was founded in the mid 1800's so it's very hard to say exactly how old it is. Any ideas?


Although there is probably no way to know since the piece is unmarked, my "gut" feeling was 1920s or 30s.


Best Wishes,


Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom