Belt Buckle - Pirate? Missionary?? Any ideas please????

A

AndyR1961

Attachments

• belt.JPG
    belt.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,409
Upvote 2
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Re: Belt Buckle - Pirate? Missionary?? Any idea's please????

Hi Jim thanks for the info, the point which looks like a logo is just dirt, I gave it a soapy water scrub this morning, I'm currently trying to find infomation about casting and hope to pop into the museum in Plymouth to see what they think, logically because of where it was found, the patina of the metal I can't see how this could be 'modern' certainly not within the last 50 years, although I am open to the fact this is nothing more than a fun item????? I'll pop it over to the what is it section for people's thoughts and idea's.
All the best
Andy

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Why rush to sell it. If a valuable shipwreck is found at that site (because people will pursue it now), then you have a priceless item tied to an historical find and that buckle would be the reason it is found. You could cost yourself a small fortune. Hold onto it.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

WOW, now that is some buckle.

You need to stop that Ebay sale and do some research on that buckle. It's definately worth more than that 100 quid you have it up for......... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

DugHoles said:
WOW, now that is some buckle.

You need to stop that Ebay sale and do some research on that buckle. It's definately worth more than that 100 quid you have it up for......... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

I totally agree.

Best,

Chagy......

R

rvbvetter

I suppose it could have been used around a monks frock.
But whether it was or not.

Beats the frock out of me.

Nice find!! WTG!!! HH

OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hi guys thought I would update you all, the buckle sold tonight on ebay for £410 ($770) I'm happy and hey if someone finds something cool, good luck to them, i'll take a beer.
All the best
Andy
ps will be able to do a detector upgrade I think

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

:D That's Great, Andy! I was getting worried for awhile. Good Luck w/ your New Detector & Keep in touch on TN!!

Joe :o

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

post the coords on the shipwreck thread, maybe one of the masters their will have an idea about it.......g

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

Fully awesome find then sale mate.
That amount of money will help you get a damn nice detector.

Cheers Jesse

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a treasure map, other than that, I'm not sure what to think. Nice find and HH, Mike

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Did the person that bought this buckle tell you more about it yet? I saw on Ebay they said that they would tell you more about it once they bought it...It's really tough to sell something that nobody knows what it is. If only one person at the auction knows what it is, you're inevitably going to get the shaft. I'd watch the media and see what happens. If the buckle does lead someone to a shipwreck/treasure make sure they know that YOU are the one that found the buckle so at least you might get some recognition.

bryan9879

Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AndyR1961 i have one too been in family ages really really exciting to see another one could you please share any info my belt is exactly the same please contact me [email protected]

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find .one of the coolest belt buckles i have seen..

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
that points to pretty far out off any island in the sea why would they do that is the question of the day if there is a tiny island north of Scarborough not on the map I'd check it out

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the phrase is latin and it means --year (anno) of the lord (domini) 1759 ---so missionary is a good bet as priest used latin mainly

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AndyR1961 i have one too been in family ages really really exciting to see another one could you please share any info my belt is exactly the same please contact me [email protected]

:icon_scratch: Hate to tell you the bad news but sooner or later you will read that this Thread fizzled out in Sept 2006 .
Looks like your 9 years too late for Andyr1961 .

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ANDY ANDY OLE CHAP FROM ENGLAND, WHAT ARE YOUR STATS SO WE NO WHAT WERE READING. MAYBE A NAUTICAL BUCKLE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND, WAS IT LOST OR DUG FROM THE GROUND???? WIDE AND TALL IS YOUR FIND, PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT WHEN YOU GET MORE TIME......NICE FIND ,,,,...

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have this buckle? Can you post a picture? I know the thread is 9 years old but if there's more than one of these it detracts from the uniqueness.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANDY ANDY OLE CHAP FROM ENGLAND, WHAT ARE YOUR STATS SO WE NO WHAT WERE READING. MAYBE A NAUTICAL BUCKLE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND, WAS IT LOST OR DUG FROM THE GROUND???? WIDE AND TALL IS YOUR FIND, PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT WHEN YOU GET MORE TIME......NICE FIND ,,,,...

Andy has left the building in 2006 . Speaking of left OLE CHAP, whew that upper case is abuse of the caps lock feature, left side of your keyboard go up three keys to caps lock , tap the key and a light will go off in the upper right hand corner . Hit shift and the letter for capital letter for Beginning of sentence and proper nouns , people , places and things .No offense but TRY IT !

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread