bennett silver tie for 5$

tony24

Feb 27, 2005
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236 x2, cibola,BH quickdraw 2
picked this up at the flea market. the lady was native american and she said this was her husbands. she said I dk if it is real silver. I was like ill give ya 5$ for it. I dont know too much about these. How much you think i can get for this? On the clip it says bennett pat. pending

101_0541.jpg

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks real. Any marks on reverse? Can't tell from pix, but looks like real turquoise, so should be real silver too. Maybe coin silver? Bolo ties on ebay can go for several times what you paid. Worth checking to see if silver.
Tigger

OP
OP
tony24

tony24

Feb 27, 2005
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
on the reverse side it says bennett pat. pending

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bennett made the slide clasp, not the center piece that it's connected to. I may be wrong but I don't think it is sterling (the slide). An acid test would need to be performed on the actual center piece to determine whether or not it is sterling. There are many bolos out there with this slide clasp, some sterling and some not. For $5, you can't go wrong either way. I found a little info. on the dating of the bennett mark-
The bolo slide on the backs on Native American bolos can aid in determining the age of a vintage bolo. Bolos were not made much before the 1930's. During that time, the backs of bolos were made with coin silver wires, not sterling. 1941 was the year sterling came into play. Bolos marked with a "Bennett Pat Pend C31" slide were made between 1957 until some time in 1967. Slides marked with a "Bennett Pat Pend" slide were made from 1967 - 1983. Sometime in 1983 saw the elimination of the stamped Bennett slide.

OP
OP
tony24

tony24

Feb 27, 2005
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
Bennett made the slide clasp, not the center piece that it's connected to

I think you are right about that. I dk if the clasp is silver. I stuck a maget to it didnt stick. But there is specks of green oxidation on it. I cant give this thing away. I got it on ebay for 50$ free shipping. Its like a ounce and a half. maybe wait till silver goes back up..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread