Best beach settings for the Tracker IV?

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out twice to nearby beaches with my new Tracker IV, found all kinds of stuff in wet and dry sand...a penny, a quarter, a Matchbox car, a large steel cover of some sort and the standard slew of bottle caps, nails, pull tabs, scrap iron and aluminum and so forth. I'm just starting out in the hobby, digging everything and I've tried a variety of different settings. So my question is, what settings have worked best for you who have also used the Tracker IV on the beach?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Wherever you can, set disc minimum, sens maximum, and dig everything. It's just sand, the diggin's easy, and beaches are places where people are really good at losing jewelry. Wrong place to be knocking everything out but clad coins.

In the wet stuff if you're getting chatter, crank up the disc level to foil. That'll usually cut most of the chatter, and the false hits you do get will be non-repeatables. That'll usually suffice unless you're literally working with the searchcoil in the surf, in which case it may be necessary to lower the sensitivity as well.

The electronic guts aren't waterproof, and salt spray gets into everything. (Many years ago I lived on 46th & Judah in Frisco 3 blocks from the beach, and everything in the house that was capable of corroding, did.) So please, wrap the electronics in Saran Wrap or equivalent and hope for the best. The warranty doesn't cover salt water damage.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips Dave, good stuff!!