Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Vino. I forgot you went to that camp. Right now my program is no disc but in the heart of the 250 - 300 year old sites its tuff to listen too. But it is impossible to even use iron volume when using zero disc. Outright sucks. Deus needs to either come up with a volume control dedicated to a specific khz OR have the iron volume control VDI 1-10 wether or not one uses any disc - whatsoever. Right now the iron volume is based on a users disc setting. Imagine if we could control the volume of a specific khz? Then I could set the 1-10 zone to 100 khz and turn that zones volume to ZERO if i wanted. That would be disc without disc.

If you keep the disc. Under 8.0 that will not affect depth either..
I usually run my around 6.5..

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that notch means your are notching the audio response of the set numbers. The coil still sees the notched values it just doesn't tell you via audio?

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you keep the disc. Under 8.0 that will not affect depth either..
I usually run my around 6.5..

I know you said that b4 its just hard for me to wrap my head around how it cant affect a little fart of a signal down at great depth in the middle of a bunch of iron.

For now I think I'll just keep zero disc and tuff it out until XP makes some kind of revelation type improvement to the related programming.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said that b4 its just hard for me to wrap my head around how it cant affect a little fart of a signal down at great depth in the middle of a bunch of iron.

For now I think I'll just keep zero disc and tuff it out until XP makes some kind of revelation type improvement to the related programming.

Well i understand..How about i come down and work some of them sites for you, and come up with the program that works??? Lol.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Vino. I guess I got bad info. This guy says on this website that it does affect depth. His words are:

"the Deus' detecting range is reduced when either Notch or Multi-Notch options are implemented"

XP Deus Discrimination Settings Explained

I think what he means is you would pass up targets due to being notched out, that is why he said no notch in a medieveil site vs modern trash site... He did not say depth......

Jim

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that notch means your are notching the audio response of the set numbers. The coil still sees the notched values it just doesn't tell you via audio?

That is it! yes

Jim
PS it does not say it does anything to depth.....

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notch is kind of like watching "Goodfellas" on the ABC Family Channel Christmas morning - you can see them dropping multiple F bombs on the screen you just can't hear them.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think what he means is you would pass up targets due to being notched out, that is why he said no notch in a medieveil site vs modern trash site... He did not say depth......

Jim

Hi Jim. Yeah, he states in other articles that 'detecting range' is a detectors depth capability. So I took that as depth and still believe thats what he means. :dontknow:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Notch is kind of like watching "Goodfellas" on the ABC Family Channel Christmas morning - you can see them dropping multiple F bombs on the screen you just can't hear them.

Im hoping thats the case. I've never used notch in almost 25 years of detecting but will experiment with it on the Deus in this revived field where I'm currently cutting the grass. It'll be interesting to see what this machine can do as I have gleaned some good info from Vino about settings. This field (another 250-300 year old site) is much more sandy and the finds were deeper as I recall (been like 7 years ago since I last hunted it). I believe the top soil area is much deeper and expect some very deep signals. I will notch the iron signals 1-6, also make a duplicate program with no notch to compare it to and see how it does. Will report back the results.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jim. Yeah, he states in other articles that 'detecting range' is a detectors depth capability. So I took that as depth and still believe thats what he means. :dontknow:

Hmm well IDK then. Just seems to me the coil has to get the electronics off the target, process it, set a number/tone to it.....whatever the depth. If notched after processing it, it is removed, not taking depth away...Or so I figure in my head, which is scary in it's self...LOL

Jim

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys and gals, got a response from Sergei:

"Yes, both Notch and Multi-Notch are Conventional Discrimination and reduce the Detection Depth but should not be confused with the Notch Ground - a fantastic feature used for eliminating audio responses to hot rocks. I have never used the Notch Discrimination and am strongly against it because, as you know, it causes accidental rejection of valuable targets and diminishes the audio "picture" of all targets lying underground. Since you have been detecting with zero Discrimination resulting in many valuable finds for a long while, why to change the most efficient style of search to which you are so well accustomed? Especially with the Deus which allows for convenient detecting without any Conventional Disc! And you are the one who well knows that. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Hunting Season!"

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I already created 2 back to back programs one without notch the next with 0-6 notch and when I go detecting will put this idea to the test. I'll hunt in the program without it but when I get a very iffy signal I'll toggle the notch program and see if the signal disappears. Very easy test that'll take little time away from my hunt.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already created 2 back to back programs one without notch the next with 0-6 notch and when I go detecting will put this idea to the test. I'll hunt in the program without it but when I get a very iffy signal I'll toggle the notch program and see if the signal disappears. Very easy test that'll take little time away from my hunt.

Yeah this seems to be the way to know for sure,

Jim

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also looked it up in Andys book and he agrees that disc cuts depth....SO my brain is wrong....lol nothing new.

Jim

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011
hello guys,

first you should check your software version, before you talk about settings. There are big differences (and bugfixes) between Version 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2!

The best settings i could find on 3.2:
ID-FIX Off (i think its useless, because the same metal has a different ID on different frequencies. The ID FIX based on the 18khz frequency)
Ground Balance manual 78
12khz
4 tone
sensitivity 90+
reactivity max 2 (higher settings reduce the Detection Depth!)
TX 2 (with 3, the signals are a little bit louder, but not deeper)
Notch 6,8 - 25
Iron vol 0-2
Audio res 4
Disc 0

With Disc 0, the silencer is inactive
(if you use it, set the Silencer max to 2, higher settings reduce the Detection Depth extremely!)

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hello guys,

first you should check your software version, before you talk about settings. There are big differences (and bugfixes) between Version 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2!

The best settings i could find on 3.2:
ID-FIX Off (i think its useless, because the same metal has a different ID on different frequencies. The ID FIX based on the 18khz frequency)
Ground Balance manual 78
12khz
4 tone
sensitivity 90+
reactivity max 2 (higher settings reduce the Detection Depth!)
TX 2 (with 3, the signals are a little bit louder, but not deeper)
Notch 6,8 - 25
Iron vol 0-2
Audio res 4
Disc 0

With Disc 0, the silencer is inactive
(if you use it, set the Silencer max to 2, higher settings reduce the Detection Depth extremely!)

Thanks for the post.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah this seems to be the way to know for sure,

Jim

I still need time to mess with this but got out to the same site today and found another king george halfpenny and a dozen relics. Lots of leads balls again.

What i notice while toggling the notch 0-6 is its dropping out the low tones and the "magic" buzz that made me investigate the signals disappears. So what I am left with is a weak peep of a signal that doesnt sound a lot different than the slight falsing and chatter of the machine while in normal use. I use full tones so this might be different in other disc settings. But I need more time to experiment with it really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions