Best detector for $400 or less

cambell

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all I am asking for your help. My friend has been detecting for a while now and asked if I wanted to go with him a few weeks ago. I went out and bought a cheapo harbor frieght detector and we went to the beach and gave it a try. He uses a minelab super expensive water machine. I quickly saw the difference a good machine makes and saw the shortcomings of my harbor frieght special. I returned mine as soon as I got back from the beach. So now im in the market for a new machine but, im on a tight budget. i understand that there really is no one machine that does it all but i would like to get something decent for a beginner for $400 or less. I plan on doing land and beach with maybe some shallow water looking for jewelry and coins. So far I have my eye on the whites coinmaster gt. I like the backlit display and the number readout. Is there any other machines that I should be looking at that might be better for the same money or less? Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a White's Prizm for a few years. I never used it on a beach (no water here in the desert), but I had some good luck with it.

I have been looking for a cheaper truck unit lately and I've liked the look of the Tesoro units. That said, I have never actually used one.

WM

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i use a whites coinmaster pro works good

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garret Ace 250 is a good machine for the price, I think it's something like $212.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think with a small budget you would be better going for a pre-owned machine. You can pick up a Minelab Explorer for reasonable money on E-Bay. The advantage is that if you buy a good quality second owner machine the chances are that it was owned by someone who knew how to look after it. They are also likely to throw some extras in as well.

Good luck.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF your looking for a great machine for under $400 you should check out the Tesoro Cibola, its a great machine that runs deep and will find you treasure!
Cibola : :: Miller MDZ ::
Good Luck and happy hunting,

PTP

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett line up has the Ace 250 for a bit over $200 the Ace 350 for around $300 then it jumps to the At (pro and gold) line but with that comes the price increase to over (usually) $500+ hope this helps with the Garretts.

Jim P

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Campbell, I am looking to buy a detector myself, so I cant help you a lot..But I would suggest that you go to
metaldetector .com and use their compare tool..They sell all kinds of detectors for what seems like good prices.

Jim P

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I didn't goof up by mentioning a web site..just trying to help..will try not to do that again..
I tell ya, there are so many machines with so many prices and so many opinions, it hard to know what to buy, and where!!
Just want one soon so I can get started again..At my age, I dont have time to waste!!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankyg said:
I think with a small budget you would be better going for a pre-owned machine. You can pick up a Minelab Explorer for reasonable money on E-Bay. The advantage is that if you buy a good quality second owner machine the chances are that it was owned by someone who knew how to look after it. They are also likely to throw some extras in as well.

Good luck.

I agree that a quality used machine is far better deal than a new lower price one. I bought a White's XLT 12 years ago for $500 and it's all I will ever need for land detecting. I have a water machine like your buddies, if you want one of those save your money! H Digs :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck.
I agree. You can get much more bang for the buck. If you plan on hunting salt water beaches, there isn't anything new in your price range that will work good in wet sand. A used Sovereign or Explorer would be a good choice.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest a Bounty Hunter Platinum which is the same as a Teknetics Gamma 6000, I seen them for $299 online.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garrett at pro is more than you want to spend but call garrett and see if they have any factory refurbs they are selling. I k ow garrett does that but not sure about the other manufacturers.

derdmann

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Marinette, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites Coinmaster Pro. Got mine for $224 and love it. Garrett Pro Pointer has been a HUGE help. Wouldn't go out without one.

gwhitson

Feb 16, 2007
nw ar--se ks
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
don't know if yr supposed to sell on here but i have a white's xlt and a whites pinpointer that's had little use, that i'm going to sell for 500 it belonged to a friend that was 75 and i don't think he put 4 hrs on it in the last 5 yrs oops sold it

Last edited:

x#1

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
cherokee county,al.
Detector(s) used
jetco huntmaster gtx ,garrett treasure ace 100, and a tesoro cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a White's Prizm for a few years. I never used it on a beach (no water here in the desert), but I had some good luck with it.

I have been looking for a cheaper truck unit lately and I've liked the look of the Tesoro units. That said, I have never actually used one.

WM

tesoro's are modestly priced and no frills yet super productive.i am not sure that you used "cheaper"in the proper context regarding a tesoro.i researched tesoro's(as well as most all detectors in my settled price range) until my eyes bled before buying my cibola.you simply can't beat a tesoro overall when considering the lifetime warranty.nothing "cheap" when a company offers that extra-

oops.just noticed this is an older thread. oh well.perhaps it will be of benefit to another.

Last edited:

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I did it all over again, I would go with the Teknetics Euro Pro with a Garrett Pro Pointer! Your welcome!! :thumbsup:

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
I just got a minelab xterra 305.. And while it's the only detector I've ever owned.. It is SO much FUN!!! It is pretty consistent with coins.. I haven't gotten a false signal for coins yet.. Although I am planning on getting a new coil as I don't believe the factory coil is very good with jewelry.. But if you are looking for coins or relics, I would get the 305.. But go with your gut feeling! It's a detector, it detects metal.. Lol

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at BIG BOYS HOBBIES. NET

He will give you an honest opinion and the best package deal with no junk. He has fast shipping and service 2nd to none

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread