BEST DETECTOR FOR SILVER COINS & HAMMERED COINS

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi im looking for a new detector but its a hard decision to make,im after some recommendations/advice. Its to hunt for silver coins & hammered silver only. im after something that goes as deep as possible on pasture & ploughed but also has good discrimination for coke & iron. Im using the nokta fors core & makro racer at the moment but ive had quite a few finds at extreme depths 10''+ the deeper im going the older the coins are.Ive had everything from Victorian silver through to roman silver.Does anyone know of a detector that will go much deeper than the ones im using please

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta go Minelab CTX 3030 or ETrac with the big 16" coils. :skullflag:

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry thanks for the reply, Do you know what sort of depths you'll roughly get on an average site with those size coils please and is the ETrac sensitive enough for small hammered and roman silver at depth (hopefully)
Gotta go Minelab CTX 3030 or ETrac with the big 16" coils. :skullflag:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of these Minelab machines can get you down to a legit 14"-15" on a silver dime here in the states, so I'm pretty sure you'll be hitting those little hammered coins a lot deeper than you are now. I am also very impressed by the Makro Racer 2, equipped with the 15.5" coil :skullflag:

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry, Ive just been watching some videos on the Makro Racer 2 its not a bad machine slightly deeper than what im getting at the moment with my Nokta fors core with a 15'' coil.ETrac sounds good at half the price of the CTX and they doesn't seem to be much difference in the depths. Granted the CTX has everything you could want on a detector, Not that im saying any other detector isn't good enough and not to upset anyone,but for my own needs im thinking. hunt the sites out with the Nokta fors then once theres no more good signals left switch. to the ETrac with the big coil and hopefully get those deeper silvers. The Nokta should be good if theres any gold and the ETrac should be good for the silvers. Ive soon come to realise there's no one detector out there to do it all because they've all got different strengths and weaknesses, well unless you're a Sir billionaire and have something designed by NASA. You've got to use a couple of detectors to get the most from your sites. Thanks for your time and advice Terry much appreciated and HH ��
Both of these Minelab machines can get you down to a legit 14"-15" on a silver dime here in the states, so I'm pretty sure you'll be hitting those little hammered coins a lot deeper than you are now. I am also very impressed by the Makro Racer 2, equipped with the 15.5" coil :skullflag:

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/p3qeL7iL-tg

Just remember that hammered coins are vey thin and many come in the foil range on most detectors, dimes are a far thicker milled coin and will come in further up the scale.
The Racer2 was a bust for me, my ground read 3-4 bars mineralisation on it, it wouldn't go past 9" on a large English penny with stock coil, i tried the nel Tornado and the Makro 15" coil but still not what you would call deep, it would do well in mild ground though.
Here's a good video of a hammered coin at 8" or less, look at how many detectors with big and small coils fitted that can't hit it, food for thought!

Hi Terry, Ive just been watching some videos on the Makro Racer 2 its not a bad machine slightly deeper than what im getting at the moment with my Nokta fors core with a 15'' coil.ETrac sounds good at half the price of the CTX and they doesn't seem to be much difference in the depths. Granted the CTX has everything you could want on a detector, Not that im saying any other detector isn't good enough and not to upset anyone,but for my own needs im thinking. hunt the sites out with the Nokta fors then once theres no more good signals left switch. to the ETrac with the big coil and hopefully get those deeper silvers. The Nokta should be good if theres any gold and the ETrac should be good for the silvers. Ive soon come to realise there's no one detector out there to do it all because they've all got different strengths and weaknesses, well unless you're a Sir billionaire and have something designed by NASA. You've got to use a couple of detectors to get the most from your sites. Thanks for your time and advice Terry much appreciated and HH ��

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I want a detector that only detects gold. :P

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks beep1971, Ive already seen that video its an eye opener. you would think with todays technology and the prices of some machines it should be no problem to pick up a hammered coin at only 8''. it makes you wonder why pay all that money out for a top of the range detector that can't pick up a signal at 8'' �� thanks for the info
https://youtu.be/p3qeL7iL-tg

Just remember that hammered coins are vey thin and many come in the foil range on most detectors, dimes are a far thicker milled coin and will come in further up the scale.
The Racer2 was a bust for me, my ground read 3-4 bars mineralisation on it, it wouldn't go past 9" on a large English penny with stock coil, i tried the nel Tornado and the Makro 15" coil but still not what you would call deep, it would do well in mild ground though.
Here's a good video of a hammered coin at 8" or less, look at how many detectors with big and small coils fitted that can't hit it, food for thought!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread