What's new

Best Find of 1999

Rich in Central PA

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
725
Reaction score
418
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shamokin Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I starting to really get on a roll ;D

Did you ever drive past one of those roadside historic markers and think, "One of these days I'm going to stop and check that out"? :-\ Well I did, gave in to the impulse, and found an 18th century fort site in a cornfield close by. :o Permission to detect was duly granted, :) and the Colonial coppers and buttons I started retrieving hinted that history hadn't had its final say there. Suddenly, I got a strike that froze me to the spot from a rattlesnake! :o Okay, not a real rattler...a silver-plated brass button bearing a snake coiled around 13 eggs, symbolic of the 13 colonies. It's an unlisted variety, but the same motif appears on other patriotic American buttons produced from the post-Revolution late 18th century until at least the 1820s. The complete story can be found in the April 2000 issue of Western & Eastern treasures magazine.

So my 2nd best find was a: circa 1790's Early American Patriotic Button
 

Attachments

  • Rattlesnake Button.webp
    Rattlesnake Button.webp
    30 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 1999.webp
    1999.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0
Still my Favotite, of all your finds Rich
 
Thanks romeo and Jeff. Too bad that place is picked out. Maybe when they build that park something might surface. Was a thrill picking up all those coins and relics while it lasted. That is a no-till field so If they only would till that field and bring up some goodies that would be great..................Rich
 
Excellent!

HH
 
Rich, I went down to Reading today on Rt 61. Do you and Jeff know that the lake in Deer Lake has been drained??
 
eathabs said:
Rich, I went down to Reading today on Rt 61. Do you and Jeff know that the lake in Deer Lake has been drained??

I just head yesterday it's supposedly completly drained.
is it ?

I did that a few times this past summer (the ball field) some silver.

The lake has about 8 to 10 feet of mud in it.
beer cans from the 60's at arms length depth.
memorial pennies at 10" :(
 
eathabs said:
Rich, I went down to Reading today on Rt 61. Do you and Jeff know that the lake in Deer Lake has been drained??

Eathabs..............yes I knew that. Deer lake has been drained for a couple of months now. I didn't detect it but I know Jeff has and a few others................Rich

PS: One of my favorite places is on top of Blue Hill where the old Shikellamy Hotel was. I found 2 silver dollars up there over the years among other coins but they are scattered, you have to be a little bit lucky. If ya get a chance, head on up there and try your luck................Rich
 
Rich, I will have to check it out. Did you see the Daily Item today? Years back the kid fell 40 feet to a ledge on Blue Hill.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom