What's new

Best Resources for a beginner

Trueburton

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 18, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
First time posting here. I’ve been fascinated by this story and was recently out in the superstitions for my first time. I’m sorting through all the posts on here but wondering if there’s a spot that contains all the maps, books, clues ever written complied in one place? Thanks in advance!
 
Terry,
Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out. I’ve been scrounging up every bit of information I can find on this topic. I find it fascinating! Any resources to stay away from or items that have definitely been proven a hoax or conmen trying to make a buck? (Besides the entire legend of the LDM) 😂
 
First time posting here. I’ve been fascinated by this story and was recently out in the superstitions for my first time. I’m sorting through all the posts on here but wondering if there’s a spot that contains all the maps, books, clues ever written complied in one place? Thanks in advance!
Trueburton,
Welcome to T-net 👍😁

The best resources for a beginner. Terry posted a great resource ….. topo maps.

Good hiking /camping supplies can sure make or break the perspective, or even outcome of a trip. Too many supplies can wear a person out before reaching camp. 🥵

Then there are all the clues and books. Some members probably are close to having just about everything … and in one place too. 😉

As to which clues and or books are the best ones. Each member here on the forums might give a different response. 😵‍💫

I was taught about the LDM by the dad of a childhood friend of mine. It was back in the late 1960’s. I don’t remember him saying where he got the info from, but in hindsight, he was familiar with (2) big sources of clues.
- one being an article from the San Francisco Chronicle, January of 1895 by P. C. Bicknell
- the other being “the Holmes Manuscript”.

There are more:
- Bark notes is certainly worth incorporating into your search stuff. 👍

- Google Earth is a great tool, however, Boots on the ground is very important, (hence the topo maps Terry posted. )👍

Good luck out there. 😉
Sincerely, Idahodutch
 
This book is a great start and has a lot of pertinent information and well researched information.

The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Part 1: The Golden Dream​

There are other good books out there, however something important to learn is where the information came from. Some of the main sources i will list below, and some people really believe in some of them, while others believe in parts of all, some believe in parts of all that match whatever theories they may have. The point being, a lot of the information is old, and impossible to verify, and you will find people truly believing in one idea while others call it impossible and totally believe in another theory.
You have the Holmes camp (based on the idea that Holmes told Waltz a lot of information and gave clues to the mine (or cache) as he was dying
The Petrasch camp (based on the ideas told to Julia Thomas and Rhiney Petrasch in the months leading up his death, as they cared for him and tried to help him)
The Bark Notes (based on Jim Barks notes over the course of his life and his searches for the mine.
Indian Stories

After that you have lots of groups of more modern searchers, all with their own ideas, found mines or caches, uncovered mines claiming to be the LDM, and more.

Most books are based on combinations of the above groups, with the one i listed being a blend of the holmes camp, bark notes and modern searches. The sims ely book listed above is based on the bark notes, as were a lot of LDM books.
The hardest part is, if anyone really knows, they arent telling, things have been found, sometimes there are quiet public whispers that are nearly impossible to verify, and from there it just gets even more complicated.
Its a great way to battle dementia, trying to keep it all together. Earn your LDM brain wrinkles!

As has been publicly stated by many, and recalled by the author, the book below should be avoided, as it contains non factual information. The person who gave the information is closely connected to the holmes camp clues, for what its worth.

The Bible on the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine and Jacob Waltz: A Pioneer History of the Gold Rush​

 
First time posting here. I’ve been fascinated by this story and was recently out in the superstitions for my first time. I’m sorting through all the posts on here but wondering if there’s a spot that contains all the maps, books, clues ever written complied in one place? Thanks in advance!
This is one that I found helpful
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0480.webp
    IMG_0480.webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 52
I don't post much, but I've been an avid student of this thread for many years, quietly learning, absorbing, and applying what I find useful. But I was, I believe, misled in person by a man on here who "shall not be named" many years back. In doing so, I learned a lot about Dutch Hunters and what they will do to keep their narrative alive. Once you spend enough time here, you will learn that there are both older and newer beliefs about where and what the Waltz mine was. To be honest, this Forum is a national treasure of Superstition Mountain History, and at the same time a good example of Treasures and Riches making people catch a Fever so bad they themselves lose grip of reality and facts. Just remember, these are all opinions at the end of the day. All that to say, have fun and be safe out there. Enjoy all the knowledge on here. Books I'd start with are "Hiker's Guide to the Superstitious Wilderness" and "Lost El Dorado."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom