beware of falling prices???!!!

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
hello all,

My scrap yard has told me to sell whatever metal I have this week, because there is going to be a drop in prices next month. I have been going to this yard for years and have a real good relationship with them. I'm a little surprised that they would tell me this. Apparently Iron will drop between $20 to $60 per ton. They are expecting the other metals to drop accordingly as well. I do not want to be a bearer of doom, but has anyone else hear anything like this? I've been watching prices on a lot of stuff I'm sitting on, and I figure that my guys won't steer me wrong, so I'm selling most of my stock piles this week. For what I've seen these prices for me have been as good as I seen for almost 2 years now. Chicago area

Aluminum cans: .52 per lb
Aluminum: .50 per lb
Aluminum Copper Rads: $1.25 per lb
yellow brass: $1.40 per lb
#1 copper: $2.58 per lb
#2 copper: 2.45 per lb
radiator w/iron: .80 per lb
electric motors: .20 per lb
green circuit boards: .20 per lb

going to work on the stainless pile these next few days

If this is true I would sell while the prices are high, in this economy I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

The reason I'm told on the steel/iron decrease is that Turkey and China are not buying any more scrap iron this spring or summer. The exports will not longer be there from my sources. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if not call your yards a see what they say. I hope this is enough time for some of you the sell the hoards of metal out there in the garages & sheds.

happy hunting,
Rumblebelly

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Well I tell you what I would do if I were you. Find another yard to deal with on your non-ferrous.

I sold a truckload yesterday.

#1 copper $3.XX per pound
#2 copper $3.XX per pound
High grade PCB (computer) $2.XX per pound
Extruded AL. .7X per pound
cast AL. .6X per pound
sheet AL. .5X per pound
Electric motors .3X per pound
non magnetic stainless $1.XX per pound

I can not quote exact prices, but you get the drift. Call around, compare prices. NEVER get to cozy with any one yard.

We see no drop in sight on the non ferrous metals. In fact, we have been told that copper and gold are still forcast to rise!As will most of the non-ferrous. Yes, steel is dropping right now, only because now the weather is good and guys can get back to work, there is a huge dumping going on right now. You may see two down months and then it will turn around, it always does. The mills are full right now, but that will change. China can never produce enough raw materials to feed the industrial machine they have over there, they will always buy scrap from us.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
when the prices drop i believe they will still be 30% higher than the sumertime prices you got last year.

OP
OP
Rumblebelly

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
silver saddle, what part of the country are you from where you are getting those prices?

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
We are in western Iowa, on the border of Nebraska.

I can give you the name of my buyer if you can generate enough scrap.

Send me a pm of what amounts you produce in a year and where you are located.

Scott

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Truer words were never spoken.... price of shred a couple of weeks ago up was around $215/nt... went in yesterday it's now at $165/nt. Glad I moved a lot of shred when the price was up.

Don't know about non-ferrous prices.. haven't had enough to bring in yet.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Rumblebelly said:
Aluminum cans: .52 per lb
Aluminum: .50 per lb
Aluminum Copper Rads: $1.25 per lb
yellow brass: $1.40 per lb
#1 copper: $2.58 per lb
#2 copper: 2.45 per lb
radiator w/iron: .80 per lb
electric motors: .20 per lb
green circuit boards: .20 per lb

You are getting killed on your circuit boards my friend. If you are talking about motherboards and other controller type boards (cpu pulled) you should be able to get better than 1.00/lb within a 100 miles of your area. I get 1.00/lb here in Spokane and am pretty happy to get it. If I ever become big fish I have a 2.00/lb outlet waiting on me

-Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions