ticm
Silver Member
- Joined
- Sep 5, 2007
- Messages
- 3,243
- Reaction score
- 792
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- New Jersey
- Detector(s) used
- Whites V3i and DFX
This one is similar Johnnyi, breeching dee. dimentions....40mm by 35mm :Pjohnnyi said:Jim, have you ever seen one with the particular characturistics I mentioned in my post?

I'm trying to help on this one Johnnyi for you and the poster, if no outher Buckle resembling this one can be found, perhaps, and I say perhaps a new variant of a horse related bucklejohnnyi said:"I see were you are coming from Johnnyi, but the pictures of Buckles you show donn't have a raised centre bar the one I posted has, my point is the only Buckles that I have found like this are Breeching Dees of Horse tack"
Yes, of course I understand that S.S.. Incidently, the buckle to the right I showed does have the raised bar (doesn't show in picture) but that's not the point. One thing about harness tack is that it usually confoirms to known styles (if itr ain't broke don't fix it) ticm's buckle is entirely different. I posted the differences, yet I hear "tack" over and over, but not any example which remotel;y matches the features of ticm's.
All of us who've spent year's searching old sites here in the U.S. have found scores if not hundreds of harness buckles, many with the raised center bar. A buckle with both the raised center bar AND the one end recessed is very unusual, particularly as the pin rode on the opposite end. I've gone through hundreds and have not come across one. I've been searching the web for an example and have not found one. If the people who say "harness tack" have seen or have found an example like this then they'd be doing ticm a favor, because I doubt he would have posted this example if he didn't recognize these unique differences also.


. Maybe Buckleboy has seen one like this?If a belt Buckle.....would not that make it an uncomfortable onejohnnyi said:I don't know either S.S., but I'm not sure if assuming harness does much good when this dern thing could be holding up a pair of pants as well.
A few examples found in the fields (which hopefully get posted) would probably cinch it though one way or another, as I doubt a guy lost his "trou" mid-field. Maybe Buckleboy has seen one like this?

) Such a buckle was very visible (so it would be exposed to show the double brass) and it didn't take the strain (as it only supported a light load, or stopped forward motion) which might be why we see little wear on this one. It might also be why we don't find many of these large buckles of this type lost. At any rate it's a neat one, unusual to boot, and thanks for everyone's patience while trying to see exactly what it was used for. If this buckle is right sized, good precise i.d. S.S. !
timekiller said:I agree with the horse farm animal Guy's here.Along the same lines..................................
Take Care,
Pete,