Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I had 2 larger coils for my DFX. One was an excellerator, and the other was the White's 14DD coil. I was extremely disappointed in the excellerator. I didn't get the depth i was expecting, pinpointing was hell, and the readings I got on the screen were all wrong (depth, VDI).

I replaced it with the White's 14DD and it functioned just like the stock coil... just bigger and deeper. Pinpointing was easy, the numbers on the screen all matched, and depth was right on. After that experience, I would go with the coil from whites. Many of the aftermarket manufacturers say that their items are calibrated for a specific machine, but I would stick with factory. I have never used the bigfood on the DFX though, so I'm not sure it's the same as the excellerator.

check out www.dfxonly.com. I'm sure there is a thread there or someone who has used both on a dfx

steve

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.
My wife got me the bigfoot for Christmas. the reason I wanted it was that do to its design a side benefit was it was less affected by EMI from over head power lines. so far I have been able to run at pre amp at 3 an ac at 70 right up to the power line pole. its real good at covering large Fields. so far I found that do to its narrow shape it picks up targets real close to iron on slow sweeps. I found a 2 cent piece 1" a way from a piece of iron at 5" deep. as far as depth so far 6" is the deepest Ive hit. pinpointing is dead on. I will say this between all my coils I have for my dfx this one is the most fun to use hope the ground thawes soon so I can try it some more. hope this helps.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. The DFX forums, especially Findmall, don't have anything bad to say about the Bigfoot...a lot of the posters said it was their favorite coil.

Does anyone know if it's heavy, or not?

HH!
TBGO

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastically light coil. Do buy a spare shaft for it. I have both upper and lower shafts on all coils with the lead's velcro'd on. You can then swap coils as fast as you can unscrew the connector and will use different sized coils more.
I only use the camlock to tighten the shaft not letting the springs locate into the holes. This means when you hit the ground or a rock the coil will rotate rather than the lugs getting damaged.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I reciently got a DD1400 Big Foot Coil & I love it. We have high mineralization in the ground around here & it works very well. The stock 950 coil is a effected a lot by the mineralization. The big foot is several times the weight of the stock coil. It takes a while to get used to the weight but it is well worth it. I have no trouble pinpointing with it. It really seems to like dimes & quarters. Like everyone else, I'm just waiting for the ground to thaw. Good luck.
Spotz

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Great coil good for covering ground. Not great depth but sensitive to small objects. Have dug two nice gold chains with mine. The bigfoot is light and easy to swing. The 14 DD buy whites weighs a ton had one and sold it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions