What's new

Bird collar button/cuff link.

dgrs2

Full Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
169
Reaction score
77
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what this one is. N.S.B.A. Nothing I found online makes any sense. National small business assoc. , national school boards assoc. etc. Why are their, what appear to be pigeons on it? Found in the Jim Thorpe area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1b608d773c1f55101908af3e6f424d66.jpg
 
Upvote 2
Try the word "birding" (for the B) into the search ? IDK, bird watchers, homing pigeon dudes ?
 
Anything on the back?
 
Print on the back is so ridiculously small and worn I can't make it out.
9e743b57966ef563610c4b00a3df8d76.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
"In 1915, at the start of the First Great War, two Pigeon Corps were established."

1915 was the start of the first Pigeon related associations. Pigeon Racing became popular after WWI & is still very active to this day, that what I think this is to do with.
 
I would think that because of the birds, the B & A would stand for Bird Association. Cant help with the first two letters.
 
Contacting the American Bird Association today. Hope they have an answer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cool find,,
I know at one point,, certificates were issued to "Homer Loft" owners from Civil Authorities, to protect the pigeon fancier from complaints.

The United States Army Pigeon Service aka Pigeon Signal Corp was started in WWI. There were numerous awards made as a result of the 95% success rate of messages getting through. In one case, over 1,000 lives were saved as a result of a message carried by a pigeon. That button may be service related.
 
Last edited:
That is a really cool find! Please update this thread if you figure out what it is. My curiosity is piqued!
 
Pigeons aren't usually depicted sitting on a branch, I'm leaning towards doves.
 
No answers. No one seems to know


dgrs2
 
Cool find,,
I know at one point,, certificates were issued to "Homer Loft" owners from Civil Authorities, to protect the pigeon fancier from complaints.

The United States Army Pigeon Service aka Pigeon Signal Corp was started in WWI. There were numerous awards made as a result of the 95% success rate of messages getting through. In one case, over 1,000 lives were saved as a result of a message carried by a pigeon. That button may be service related.

In the UK, some were given war medals.
 
I'm trying to look up the acronym, but all the sites seem to only have contemporary organizations. The town wasn't called Jim Thorpe in 1915 , another avenue ? If they are pigeons could that possibly indicate Post Office ?
 
National Squab Breeders Association ? Pigeons were raised for food at one time.
 
I'm trying to look up the acronym, but all the sites seem to only have contemporary organizations. The town wasn't called Jim Thorpe in 1915 , another avenue ? If they are pigeons could that possibly indicate Post Office ?

In 1915 Jim Thorpe was Mauch Chunk. I keep looking and trying all kinds of acronyms. Coming up with nothing. This one is a mystery. Someone will crack it!
 
I live in Shamokin, and when I was a kid there were thousands of pigeons that flew around in separate flocks, it seemed like everyone raised them. The city eventually had to put a ban on raising them, for public health reasons.
 
For now this will remain a mystery. I'm going to keep on looking for the answer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom