What's new

Bison vs cow teeth

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some teeth on the gravel bar and I’m 99% sure it’s cow or bison. I remember the stylus is a way to tell but looking it up again there seems to be a lot of mixed information. I’m leaning towards bison with the strong separated stylus. Anybody know what the right answer is?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587522938.124732.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587522966.460426.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587522999.864993.webp

Also found a few other goodies. A jaw segment and a radius I think. I know mussel attachment and general robustness are a less reliable way to tell. Seems like it could be bison.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587523042.682278.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587523088.241675.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587523126.724546.webp
 
Thanks for the link on my first few searches, some were claiming the opposite, saying cow stylids were weaker and often fell off.

Cool! Glad to know I’m on to a buffalo. Looked upstream from the gravel bar and found an atlas vertebrae but nothing else

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557150.965798.webp
Some in situ pics for fun

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557203.930119.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557252.039784.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557280.805666.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557320.198775.webp

Found in the slump from a cutbank upstream the white caught my eye, the top had been chewed pretty bad.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587557356.100410.webp
 
Ok yuck!!!!lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom