šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Black diamond ??

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
This is NOT mine, but just looking for opinions.

307803036_5177352542391635_7138398991086673968_n.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MPO, pipe dream....

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From its 'Facebook Marketplace' page (seller is in Florida):

"If there are any geology sources message me please ā€¦This is a black diamond meteor 86 grams as far as google knows itā€™s the only one ever found in the USA bidding will start at 100.000 last one sold for 3.million dollars was half the size of the one I found "

Bullshit Meter.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gee when buying a diamond a little knowledge is sometimes dangerous they claim.
Now I was informed black inclusions in the diamond isn't good.
I see a whole lot of black is alright it seems.
(Excluding the that bad boy stocking stuffer photo in this thread.)
Interesting article actually on black diamonds-kind of surprised at the value.
Then again throw enough at the wall it seems to stick.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller is suggesting it to be a ā€˜carbonadoā€™ diamond. It isnā€™t. True carbonados are only found in Brazil and the Central African Republic although carbonado diamondites in general have a wider distribution, as do conventional 'black' diamonds. Their ā€˜cosmicā€™ origin (whether by arrival from space or formed by a massive impact on Earth) is not proven but itā€™s interesting to note that these two regions were physically connected as part of the continent of Gondwana at the time of the believed geological age of this type of diamond and might represent a single impact location.

They donā€™t look like the sellerā€™s picture though. Carbonados are impure, poly-crystalline, micro-porous and usually contain foreign inclusions of reduced metals. These would be typical uncut ā€˜roughā€™ stones:

Carbonados.jpg
[Picture by James St. John ā€“ Wikipedia; Creative Commons License]

Because of their structural and compositional nature they donā€™t make for particularly good gemstones, although they can be cut after a fashion. The reference in the sellerā€™s description to one selling for $3 million relates to a carbonado of poorly documented origin that was sold as a 555.55 carat cut stone named ā€œThe Enigmaā€ in February this year. It fetched Ā£3.16 million (pounds sterling), or $4.3 million (US dollars) and was purchased using digital cryptocurrency by the American entrepreneur Richard Heart who renamed it the ā€œHEX.com diamondā€ after his blockchain organization.

Enigma1.jpg Enigma2.jpg

It's actually a very dark brown rather than true black (most black diamonds sold in jewellery are not true carbonados and have been artificially enhanced) and is still, I believe, the largest cut diamond in the world although itā€™s not known how big it was before cutting. The cut is unconventional for several reasons, including the geological nature of the stone and the desire for a record-breaking weight (versus the ā€œGolden Jubileeā€ diamond at 545.67 carats). According to Ran Gorenstein who commissioned the design, the 555.5 carats based around a five facet cut was inspired by the ā€œhamsaā€, a palm shaped amulet popular among Muslims and Jews in the Middle East and North Africa.

[Incidentally, a carbonado still (I think) holds the record for the largest rough diamond ever found. The stone was found in Brazil in 1895 and dubbed ā€œSergioā€ after the finder SĆ©rgio Borges de Carvalho. Originally it was 3,167 carats (versus the Cullinan Diamond at 3,107 carats) but was purchased in September 1895 by I. K. Gulland of London for Ā£6,400 and broken up into 3 - 6 carat pieces for use in industrial diamond drills. Like most carbonados, its composition and structure was unsuited to cutting as a gem.]

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions