Blast Evidence

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I need some advice from experienced hands...

If explosives were used in an attempt to open or close an entrance (granite or basalt), what evidence (besides the obvious) might be seen? Please note that I have some experience with the effect of explosives upon reinforced concrete - not sure if it's the same/similar.

Thanks.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will see shattering of the rock face it will look like broken window glass up close , you also should see pitting around the blast area !
If you look at the ground area up against the rock face you should see were the blast wave rippled any dirt as it pushed up to the stop .

Their are a few more things you could look for so let me know if you need more items to look for.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks Daedalus...

Never saw rock blasted before, and only once with concrete and what might have been C-4, but it's been over thirty years so I couldn't remember specifics. My only experience with explosives or effects is minimal. I've seen plenty of things go boom, but that's about it.

I have not been to the site yet. My concern is that a cleft leading into another narrow cleft-like passage may have been blasted shut. A large rock covered the cleft in such a way as to hide it competely unless you were positioned on the oblique to the opening. I imagine if the cleft was blasted shut, there should be plenty of evidence with the cover rock showing blast effects if it did not move.

Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated. Are you in the 101?

echidna gold

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
check for detonator fragments / bell wire with a metal detector. If you dont find any its inconclusive but if you do find them you'll know for sure. Also miners are lazy bastards - check for empty nitroprill bags shoved under nearby rocks / logs :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread