What's new

Blast from the Past...Sick and Bored! Fur Trade Brooch?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I had to stay home today sick so I'm admittedly a little bored. I found this brooch a couple years ago on the east coast of Canada. If it were silver I would probably have no doubt as to whether it is fur trade related...but it is brass. It's pretty crudely made and I have no idea as to the age of the piece or if it could in any way be considered fur trade. Any input?
 

Attachments

  • rooch 003.webp
    rooch 003.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 506
  • rooch 004.webp
    rooch 004.webp
    45 KB · Views: 464
  • rooch 003.webp
    rooch 003.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 461
  • rooch 004.webp
    rooch 004.webp
    45 KB · Views: 440
looks like it could have held some sort of cameo or flat stone. very cool thought!!! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Just replied over on FT, but...

Maybe fur trade, most likely Scottish 18th c. or earlier from a immigrant, or you might want to compare with Viking broaches, just in case.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Just replied over on FT, but...

Maybe fur trade, most likely Scottish 18th c. or earlier from a immigrant, or you might want to compare with Viking broaches, just in case.

Thanks for the response(s)! Viking is a long shot but how cool would that be?!! 18th century Scottish is most likely I would imagine.
 
Upvote 0
Here's a pic of a 17th c. Scottish woman's broach a friend sent me. No, they didn't change much from Viking days.
 

Attachments

  • brooch.webp
    brooch.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0
Looks like one for the "Uk'ers to I.D..........nice, looks like it could be roman...........NGE
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
Don't really know much about fur trade items myself.But that brooch looks early to me say like late medieval.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=60
What ever it's cool and nice that the pin is still in it. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

It is an annular brooch, but as your link shows, they were early Medieval (not late). The chances of this being from that period must be pretty slim, plus the metal type & construction look different. These are still copied today, so the Scottish suggest holds the most water. Not sure how to date it other than it looks to have been in the ground at least 100 years. 18th-19th C seems fine
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Timekiller said:
Don't really know much about fur trade items myself.But that brooch looks early to me say like late medieval.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=60
What ever it's cool and nice that the pin is still in it. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

It is an annular brooch, but as your link shows, they were early Medieval (not late). The chances of this being from that period must be pretty slim, plus the metal type & construction look different. These are still copied today, so the Scottish suggest holds the most water. Not sure how to date it other than it looks to have been in the ground at least 100 years. 18th-19th C seems fine
:icon_scratch: Database » Artefacts » Later Medieval (11th-15thC) » Brooches
Yea it be like finding roman coins in flordia :wink: But the tudor period is possible for here I know cause I've found them.And were in no way contaminated sites.So what's a 100 years or so from up there were he's at. :dontknow: Even the scottish brooch posted was 1600's so he said.But I don't know for sure and you are better at this then I am.As there's no doubt you find more of it.So it may be.Still a neat find.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
Timekiller said:
Don't really know much about fur trade items myself.But that brooch looks early to me say like late medieval.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=60
What ever it's cool and nice that the pin is still in it. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

It is an annular brooch, but as your link shows, they were early Medieval (not late). The chances of this being from that period must be pretty slim, plus the metal type & construction look different. These are still copied today, so the Scottish suggest holds the most water. Not sure how to date it other than it looks to have been in the ground at least 100 years. 18th-19th C seems fine
:icon_scratch: Database » Artefacts » Later Medieval (11th-15thC) » Brooches
Yea it be like finding roman coins in flordia :wink: But the tudor period is possible for here I know cause I've found them.And were in no way contaminated sites.So what's a 100 years or so from up there were he's at. :dontknow: Even the scottish brooch posted was 1600's so he said.But I don't know for sure and you are better at this then I am.As there's no doubt you find more of it.So it may be.Still a neat find.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Yes it is a neat find.
 
Upvote 0
Most of the girls in high school use to wear a pin just like this and it was dubbed a "Virgin" pen by the guys. Of course none of the girls would admit otherwise. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Hope you are better...

some images, 1706 and 1772. Both Scottish.
 

Attachments

  • hen-wife-lg.webp
    hen-wife-lg.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 219
  • quern.webp
    quern.webp
    272.8 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Hope you are better...

some images, 1706 and 1772. Both Scottish.

seems good to me :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Certainly 18th c. time frame. Other than that I am not sure, but the photos posted here are some good evidence.

Cheers,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom