diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He’s a dirtbag. What’s the point of doing that - if he gets caught his whole business is cooked. And for what? Maybe he makes 20% more on the sale? Gross. The most common thing I see out by me is an arrangement where the estate sale company agrees to buy whatever doesn’t sell - at a fixed price. The best items are over priced and don’t sell. And then next week you see them in the company’s ebay store at a reasonable price. There’s an unavoidable conflict of interest there. Also, I don’t know what its like by you guys, but here a lot of the estate sale companies don’t do clean outs anymore - that’s an extra charge with a different outfit after the sale is over - they’re happy to arrange it, but not included in the sale.
I know in this state, the whole estate sale "industry" is very screwed up. Rampant thievery and shady dealings by these companies is commonplace and unfortunately nothing gets done about it. I try spreading the word locally about the bad ones to other buyers (and sellers) so they avoid them. That's about all I can do. Believe me, I would love to put some of these dirtbags out of business or even in jail. They have no right ripping off anyone much less grieving, family members of the departed.

"The husband and wife team that runs the sales were there and she was inside while the elderly husband was outside acting as cashier. I take my items which are $9.75 and he proceeds to write down the sale on the ledger for $4.75. I pointed out and tell him it’s $9.75 and he just looks up disgustingly and gives me change for my $20 which is $10.25. Even after I pointed out his “mistake“ he never fixed it."

This is how the standard 30% for the seller turns into 80%. Disgusting.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to sales by the same estate sale companies every week, and they are all 100% honest and forthright.
I don’t go to sales held by the shady estate company in town, and no one I know does. If they’re screwing their clients, they’ll sure screw me given a chance.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO, I would just let it go...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread