What's new

Blob Sodas

Here are a few of Eugene Roussel's bottles. He came from France in 1838 and opened a perfume shop. He added a Soda Counter to his shop popularizing flavored soda water in the late 1830's. He used sugared syrups rather than fruit juices and was the first to use Cobalt glass for his Soda Bottles. The Cobalt bottle is embossed Dyottsville Glass Works on the reverse.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03701a.webp
    DSC03701a.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 624
  • DSC03709a.webp
    DSC03709a.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC04520a.webp
    DSC04520a.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 618
This is a John Baker Soda Water bottle. It is iron pontilled. Interesting thing about this one is it shares the same mold as the cobalt blue John Boardman pictured earlier in this post.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03705a.webp
    DSC03705a.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 622
Road Dog said:
This is a John Baker Soda Water bottle. It is iron pontilled. Interesting thing about this one is it shares the same mold as the cobalt blue John Boardman pictured earlier in this post.
Thanks for the history, 'Road Dog' -- these bottles are a bit older than I realized!

So, the Baker and the Boardman bottles were made in the same mold with the embossing on slug-plates?? What a nice bit of mold-making that was! Did other bottlers use this same bottle?
 
Not a Slug Plate . There is a rare variation where Boardman was peened out though. Only two I think makers used this mold. Atleast that I've seen.
 
Here are a couple of ginger ale bottles that I like, though I don't display them because of the round bottoms. (The GRATTAN will actually stand up on the large "G" embossed on the base!)

'Road Dog', do you have a reasonable way to display round-bottom sodas?


sodasgingeralepair.webp​
 
I have a Hawaii Torpedo laying on my arrowhead case and a Tenpin laying in the back of a Tonka Truck. (LOL) :tongue3:
Nice bottles there. Nice to see with the closures!
 
Awesome Sodas! I recognize you from the Antique Bottle site. Ya'll have done some great digs.
 
yeah, we've gotten lucky. you should see the one's that we just uncovered!! i'll post some pics for you tomorrow!!
 
Iron pontil Fred. Goosmann, has anyone ever seen one similar? Thanks, gleaner1
 

Attachments

  • Copy of DSC00922.webp
    Copy of DSC00922.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 418
Blue aqua in that one goes around 400 slams or there abouts. My Soda info is at my work so I can't give you more than that. Found age is around 1857.
 
Road Dog, I cant find any info on it. This piece has an unusual tint toward sapphire.
 
Hard to guage colors from a pic. Yours looks like it could be the blue aqua. A very nice bottle.
 
Great bottles! Thanks for showing them.
 
Diggin I'm just glad folks like to see them.

That Goosmann bottle in Aqua is still a 250 dollar bottle. The additional Blue really drives up the price. There are also Cobalt variations that go for thoooousannnnnnds!
 
Road Dog - Have to confess my knowledge of bottles is extremely limited but I do collect/display those I find. I enjoy viewing the bottles that get posted. :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom