bobWHITE!

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
1.) Have a nephew (farm lad) who found some quail eggs...he hatched them with some chickens. He set them free and they hung around for a few months, then disappeared.
2.) Pickled?? Surely, they were hard boiled??
3.) Haven't heard or seen one for years!!

ETA:
4.) Hunted them a few times (once/twice) when I was a young man. Shot at some, but they all lived to tell the tale. They scatter in nano-seconds and my reflexes don't register on a nano-scale. :occasion18:

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.) Have a nephew (farm lad) who found some quail eggs...he hatched them with some chickens. He set them free and they hung around for a few months, then disappeared.
2.) Pickled?? Surely, they were hard boiled??
3.) Haven't heard or seen one for years!!

The first step in pickling them is to hard boil them.

https://practicalselfreliance.com/pickled-quail-eggs/

I haven't seen or heard one either for at least 25 years.

Really hoping Smokey's personal quail restoration project has great success.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fox had a feast last night. Probably 2 or 3. It set off the cameras outside. Today I heard a squawk and a barred tailed hawk got one that wandered out of the woods and thickets nearby. That's why they are called bird brains. Will probably get some more in a few weeks. It is nice seeing them but they like my cars and hang out near them. Idiots.

we have a grouse on our road right now that chases you up and down the road if you are walking, and likes to run at moving cars..... i fear the mail guy is going to be the end of him/her

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turkeys are back full force. i may try a quail supplement in a few weeks. Its quite a haul to go get them, but you can't trust the mail. May try a few pheasants too.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty years ago turkeys were very rare around here. Now they're thick as can be and without a care in the world. We have a hen [with 8-10 chicks] come through the yard multiple times a day. They check the ground below the bird feeders for the spills and frequently come withing 4-5 feet of me if I'm out on the patio. I'm a little surprised that the wild cats (people drop unwanted cats off in this area all the time) don't get the chicks, but Mama turkey must have the cats convinced that they'd get their butts kicked if they try. I've yet to see a single cat that doesn't move when Mama brings her brood through.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I looked outside a bit ago, about 15 were having a nap is a quall ball right between the two cars...hawk couldn't get them there for sure. Not enough room to dive.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raised them for a while. Got to attached to them and all I wanted was the eggs. Let them loose and they would come in a line every day at feeding time. Hawks and a cat finished them off. I have two flocks in the mountain fields. I do not let anyone hunt them. The coyotes get their share. I got outside and clap my hands and leave a treat for the fox at night. I forget sometimes and he barks outside the window. Not sure you can call it a bark but he tries.
Great pics Smokey. Lots of memories with those birds.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a coyote outside tonight and he can't find any of the birds. I think they went to the woods. Coyote may need to write its will, depends on my mood. Foxes I don't mind. He cannot under and circumstances get to the chickens.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a coyote outside tonight and he can't find any of the birds. I think they went to the woods. Coyote may need to write its will, depends on my mood. Foxes I don't mind. He cannot under and circumstances get to the chickens.

We seem to have a problem with the Fox at this time of the year. The need to feed the litter and the chickens are foremost on the menu it seems.
I lost one hen a few weeks back as I was letting them free range between the 2 large fenced areas.
The fox came in while I was in the barn (doors wide open) not 30 ft away, the rooster alarm was going off some crazy.
The Mrs came a running, as the another fox was coming in to get another hen but she was standing between the hens and the fox.
Bold they are at this time of the year, and the appetite for my hens is overwhelming.
It came back twice a day to try to get more-but I have them in the 9ft fenced in the large barn enclosure. Rooster alarm can be heard going off in the field nearly a 1000ft away.
Though 10 days ago it was trying again, though it didn't expect a 3 ton Tundra coming after it in the yard at 40mph horn blaring, chasing it up the back laneway-it seems to have broken the cycle. :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the coyote had a very major accident. Sort of accident. And I had gone to bed night before last, the motion lights were still going on and off and on and off. I heard something scratching a bit right outside the bedroom window, on the ground. There is a big air conditioning unit that which a critter could hide behind. I had heard a wild cat like scream in the woods the day before, but didn't know what it was.

So...and I had to listen to screeches on the internet to ID the animal, the coyote apparently starts heading back towards the woods and the FEMALE MOUNTAIN LION (due to calls I heard), nailed it. There was one loud set of roars/screams and then quiet. The coyote did not come back last night.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My...

Q: What did the cougar say to the coyote?

A: Those are MY quail and don't you forget it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did hear a few quail this am. Went to an Indian artifact show at a museum I am a member. Nice show. Pickup up a few trade beads, nothing else. Was going to go artifact hunting but its too far away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread