Hooked and wanting to upgrade! Recommendations please!

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey y'all. I had an old Bounty Hunter for a long time, and just never used it much. About six months ago, I got the Garrett Ace 200 and it's been a big leap in terms of what I find/how much I find. It's really hooked me! I want to go hunting all the time now.

But of course, now I want more/better! I am most interested in coins, but don't want to neglect that there are a fair number of iron relics in my area - so it would be nice to be able to discriminate lead a little better (is that a thing?).

If I'm wanting to shell out around $300 - $400, anyone have recommendations on what to get? Something used? A better search coil for my existing machine? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a long look at the Minelab Vanquish 540. But there are many machines in that range, you might want to do some research then hit YouTube for demos and reviews.

Keep us posted and ask questions as they pop up-

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call one of the forum sponsors. It will be well worth your time.

New..

Vanquish (540, 440, 340)

Nokta/Makro Simplex (I think there is a special where a free coil is offered with the purchase of the + version)

Garrett Apex. This would be at the far end of your budget and wouldn't include the wireless headphones.

Fisher F5 - there is a online source that bought a bunch of F5 machines when Fisher ended their production of that model. Do a search for Fisher F5 and $299 - that should bring up the source.

Quest makes the Q30 and the Q30+ (the latter includes wireless headphones). I don't see much about those machines in the states but they seem to be well liked in Europe.

Check the Teknetics website. Several machines fitting your budget - including the Patriot (a Fisher F70 with different paint)

Used....

A bunch of machines that would fit your budget

Last edited:

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take a look at the Vanquish series by ML. I upgraded from a cheap detector and it's fantastic.

Josh

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the members have got you covered with good info. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the members have got you covered with good info.

For sure! Thanks a lot guys! I've been looking at that Vanquish 540, and T-A-G-A, I found that F5 for $299 - and now the choice is even more difficult.

Now, the hard part...to spend the dough without my wife getting mad....

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, the hard part...to spend the dough without my wife getting mad....

For me it is easier to beg for forgiveness than it is asking for permission.

Not that I recommend my approach to others, but my wife doesn't say a word about the small stuff (like metal detectors). It's the big stuff (like trucks, motorcycles, and the like) that she notices.

I should note that I have spent time in the doghouse - well lots of time actually. It's not too bad if you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for days on end.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not too bad if you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for days on end.

In my case, this project has been in the garage for over a year and has cost that metal detector many times over. Her argument may be that I'm done with discretionary income for a while....

Picture11.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread