What's new

Bolt/knob thing

FingerGrime

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
814
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
I found this metal detecting yesterday, and have been soaking it in vegetable oil. I can't make out all of the inscription, but i can definitely read the words "Pat" and "Nathan". Pat is short for patented I am assuming, and it seems as though there is more text after "Nathan" but I can't make it out. Any idea what this is from?

The face is about 1 inch across. I am not certain of the composition (is it copper?).
thing1.webp
thing2.webp
thing3.webp
 
Hi mate it definatly looks like its copper looking at the green oxidation on it and looks old. :icon_thumleft: Cheers. HH Lee
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking old gas bottle knob off of like propane or Lp gas,maybe even cylinder gas like for torches and such.(O2,nitrous,acetylene,etc.) Sorta like this. From the looks of yours it looks to be worn alot so would think it was something used alot.Could be part of a regulator or many other things.I'll wait and see what others come up with.Just some Ideas. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • large_179119_1[1].webp
    large_179119_1[1].webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 285
  • cav_06_1[1].webp
    cav_06_1[1].webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Scratch my first Idea now that I've took time to see how small it is. :D And let's go with something like this mini pipe cutter would explain all the wear also :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1475[1].webp
    DSCN1475[1].webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 222
  • TF22_l[1].webp
    TF22_l[1].webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 176
  • PipeCutter[1].webp
    PipeCutter[1].webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0
I performed electrolysis on it and didn't get any more details out of it (in fact I destroyed the lettering almost entirely).
 
Upvote 0
FingerGrime said:
I performed electrolysis on it and didn't get any more details out of it (in fact I destroyed the lettering almost entirely).
Yea I don't think you hurt much.Seems to have had a plating of some kind on it.It's a odd knob being so small and all heavy built looking but I can't put my finger on what it is but looks like something I've seen. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom