What's new

bonnet on 71 jag

montepollock

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
381
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
This is an off the wall question,My neighbors house burned last may and they are settling the accounts.
well They have a 71 Jaguar xy6 or x6 Inherited,and cannot figure out how to open the bonnet(Hood)
Doesnt seem to be a latch under or near grill,or under the dash board.
Can anyone tell us how to open the hood?
I,ts suppose to have original motor replaced with 454 camaro.
I will post pics of the motor once we open the bonnet it sounds interesting.
HH,Mont
 
Thanks Peachy but no chrome handles on this.
It,s an xj6l.the hood hasn,t been opened for years and car had been stored outdoors in a woody part of estate sometimes tarped.
HH,Mont
 
I guess I would call a dealership or jag repair place and ask :tongue3:
 
COME ON NEIGHBOR! Even the rednecks in Pittsburg know how to do it. (I cheated and looked it up on the internet)

Supposedly there are 2 small chrome caps or covers located located between the front tire and the door. One on each side of the car. the covers swing or flip open.

Then you take the square ended key that came with the car and put it in the little hole and unlock each side.

use care in opening the hood.

I imagine the key is long gone or it may be on the key ring and nobody knew what it was for.

Good luck and can't wait for a picture.

Bob (raised in Pittsburg)
 
Well,I feel stupid...
But in all fairness I was looking under grill, fenderwells etc,While the owner checked in cab.
The latch is located under dash,but on wrong side..but so,s the steering wheel.
Engine turned out to be 350 chevy,will post pics if anyone still interested.
Thanks for all replies.
HH,Mont
 
SHOW US THE PICTURES!

I really like it when something so small gets so overpowered. Working on a project now. 1951 Henry J Kaiser that once had an anemic, economy minded 6 cylinder in it. Just can't decide which Chevrolet 327 to put in it.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Bob
 
RJGMC said:
SHOW US THE PICTURES!

I really like it when something so small gets so overpowered. Working on a project now. 1951 Henry J Kaiser that once had an anemic, economy minded 6 cylinder in it. Just can't decide which Chevrolet 327 to put in it.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Bob

I'd like to see the pics too, Montepollock!


Hey Bob, ever see a Sears Allstate? Henry J built them (same exact car as yours, or very nearly) and Sears sold them through their catalog!



Sky Pilot
 
The Sears Allstate was the exact same car. It had badges on the fender with Allstate on them. The Allstate was offered with a different interior fabric also. One of them was a tartan plaid in red and black. The Henry J usually favored a faux alligator look.

Even though it was the same car, an Allstate actually said Allstate on the title!

They were introduced in 1951, went through style changes in 1952, it stayed the same for 1953. The ones that did not sell in 1953 were rebadged as 1954 models. Then they became an orphan. They no longer had any parents as the Henry J plant in Willow Run, Michigan never produced another Henry J.

Many of them went to the drag strip in the early 60's in the gasser class. With a wheel base on only 100 inches and a curb weight of 2200 pounds. They became a great choice for a go fast in a straight line car.

Thanks for the interest Skypilot!

One of these days..........

Bob
 
Re: bonnet on 71 jag pictures added

I didn,t know that,But then I,m only 47.
I dug up a studebaker engine once.
I was told the Jag had a 454,but no it appears to be 350 Chevy.
Is also a tarped over 79 or later camaro or firebird in yard so maybe thats the 454?
Unable to get to the hood on it though the wrecking crew pushed it into tree so no clearance.
Oh heres some pics of the 71 Jaguar and the motor.
looks like a worthy project but the jags pretty rough,back window and some trim missing at least.
HH,Mont
 

Attachments

  • 2011 july 20 012.webp
    2011 july 20 012.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 2011 july 20 015.webp
    2011 july 20 015.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 2011 july 20 017.webp
    2011 july 20 017.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom