What's new

Bonneville Salt Flats

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
2,349
Reaction score
8,460
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
I usually try to keep people out of landscapes, but when I was driving by yesterday I thought they added some scale to the overall scene, so stopped for a minute.
 

Attachments

  • 11def.webp
    11def.webp
    56.7 KB · Views: 94
Great shot. I can tell your just at the Utah/Nevada line. I've stopped at that West bound I80 rest area countless times. You know if you hit the next exit #4 and go north just about 2 or 3 miles to the speedway you could pull your truck out on salt flats on solid Salt and get dramatic picture of it. I took a picture of a Dodge Caliper I rented from Enterprise out on it once. I'd show it, but it's on a laptop that crashed in the garage. I thought someday I'd take to the computer guy to see if the pictures on it could be recovered. Don't ever try and drive on the flats east of there off the shoulder. I've seen a couple of vehicles buried to the frame just a few yards out. Probably cost those people $1,000 to get a tow truck from Wendover to drag them out of the muck that lies just under what looks like solid Salt.
 
Last edited:
Great shot. I can tell your just at the Utah/Nevada line. I've stopped at that West bound I80 rest area countless times. You know if you hit the next exit #4 and go north just about 2 or 3 miles to the speedway you could pull your truck out on salt flats on solid Salt and get dramatic picture of it. I took a picture of a Dodge Caliper I rented from Enterprise out on it once. I'd show it, but it's on a laptop that crashed in the garage. I thought someday I'd take to the computer guy to see if the pictures on it could be recovered. Don't ever try and drive on the flats east of there off the shoulder. I've seen a couple of vehicles buried to the frame just a few yards out. Probably cost those people $1,000 to get a tow truck from Wendover to drag them out of the muck that lies just under what looks like solid Salt.
Yes this was from that rest area. I wasn't going to stop, but saw the people out there, and it was an easy place to get off and stop......I've seen cars stuck out there where you mentioned. I can imagine the long term damage that salt would do to the under side of a vehicle. Especially if they didn't wash it right away.
 
Out of all the times I've stopped there, I've never thought of taking a walk out on it. I think your pretty much gonna see what's all out there from the rest stop. I think I posted a picture here once when I stopped and there was a storm kicking up a cloud of salt dust blowing across it? You could taste the salt in the air and feel the sting in your eyes.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom