What's new

Bonnie Parkers pistol is up for sale

I will keep an eye on the MANUFACTURES FORUM ( which I am a member ) and post the feedback when the auction is done , the general feeling is that the history is STRONGLY in Doubt I posted some of the concerns in my previous posts on this thread
 
Wrong answer... Quoted from federal firearms law... "The F.F.A. regulations did not require serial numbers on firearms (necessary to identify a particular gun as having been the subject of a transaction) until 1958, and then exempted .22-caliber rifles from the serial number requirement." There are LOTS of older guns on the market that never had a serial number and they are perfectly legal to buy & sell. Anything made (or modified I would think) prior to 1958 is grandfathered. That said I don't see much ironclad "proof" that this was Bonnie Parkers pistol. Certainly not worth taking a six figure chance.

Serial numbers are only required to this day for weapons manufactured for sale. You can build a firearm for your own use without a serial number. I have an AK that I built that does not have a serial number.

"No serial number" is not the same thing as an "obliterated serial number". A weapon with an obliterated serial number is contraband, period.
 
I agree it would not be up for pubic auction if it were illegal to own.
Of course certain places like New York, may feel different but
if you got the cash, I'm sure you can bid.

as for the $175k, that is just a hint from the auction house at what they are hoping
bidders will take to heart. sort of Metal Conditioning.
& of course a hint, they will laugh at a $50,000.00 bid

27 CFR 478.34 disagrees with your assessment:

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
 
27 CFR 478.34 disagrees with your assessment:

I won't argue, I'm not a Lawyer.

But it is being Legally advertised as Legally up for bid.

Now I don't have the Auction rules as to if it is Museums & Police only :dontknow:
 
Item auction has just been completed The Low estimate was 125K - the high estimate was 175K Item opened at 63K and the bidding was slow THERE was not any internet bidders !!! Which has me thinking that the True collectors had concerns The bidding was all from the floor and the item sold at 85K and that appeared to be a struggle That's about it
 
UPDATE general feeling on the Colt board is that someone paid 83k over the pieces price ---- another example of BUY THE ITEM NOT THE STORY
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom