Booted from War of 1812 site today!! (After 5+ years)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
You may have seen yesterday's two nice buttons posted. This is a site where I first got permission in 2013 and have been allowed on the property regularly since then, but always thought the day might come where that would end. Today was the day. Just dumb luck and timing, as in much with life whether good or bad. The good news is Carolina Tom had a great two day visit (or 1.15 day visit since today was brief) and I had many years of amazing finds, almost always military buttons (and lots of musket balls). I never found a single old coin, so either they were found before I got there or these soldiers didn't have much $, which was probably the case. Because of erosion this is a site that will continue to be productive (or could be) for a long time. But, seems they aren't going to allow it from now on. Here's my best find ever from the site and probably my best ever at any site - gold gilded Navy Officer's button. I know that Tom will be reporting his finds in the next day or two...and he even managed to turn today's lemons into lemonade when we hit another site nearby.

Attachments

• NavyOfficer.jpg
    NavyOfficer.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 723
Upvote 34

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an extremely impressive button you have there. Good luck on your new site.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Button!! Too bad you lost the place, But silver lining I guess is you got 5 years there :)

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its far better to have had five years to hunt there than to have never gotten the chance! ...But i guess it still sucks to have been booted :tongue3:

That button is GORGEOUS!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I can’t thank you enough for taking me on THE farewell tour of the place. Amazingly beautiful place with a lot of history. I’m very sorry that the permission evaporated like that. It’s a shame that more of our history can’t be saved.

That button is stunning in hand.

92743572-8980-436B-9427-5F6CB49867E5.jpeg

Here is another pic of some of YOUR buttons from the site.

AE9358E4-4B01-4475-8F47-D1A8425D3F77.jpeg 8F2B978E-852E-43B9-B43F-285B0554DBFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Great hunt.:icon_thumright:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty, congrats

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THOSE are some buttons. Five years is a good long run, but any reason given? New ownership?

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
The land developer gave me permission and access years ago based on work I did for them, but I'm told they are no longer involved. I was always allowed access on a continued basis despite this change and it only came to an abrupt ending yesterday when someone started inquiring about what we were doing and why. I have everything in writing about the value of the work I did and the permission granted, but it wasn't going to sway them since that permission came from people I was just notified are no longer involved, and new people have a very different outlook on the subject. I even donated items to the prior contact over the years to show an interest in sharing the items so they could have some of the history. Oh, well!!!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button you did well there saved alot of histiry They may have seen all your cool finds and are getting detecters for Christmas lol

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know all about getting the boot as I was booted from where I believe there are Revolutionary War related items that have now been covered with houses a road and driveways View attachment 1662871

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys. Maybe Keep an eye on the property in the future and continue trying to get permission again? Those sites are far and few between.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beautiful button. on the bright side, you had all that time to find what you managed to find and you found some awesome stuff that you wouldn't have otherwise. Seasons change whether we want them to or not. hopefully you will find another great site to hunt like this was. I too understand this as well, it happens. But what an awesome last button!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. some nice old buttons you found at the site. Congrats:icon_thumleft: Its a pity you lost the hunting grounds but at least you had 5 years at the site with allot of nice finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh My...a killer find, congratulations! :occasion14:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a stunning Navy button. I have been enjoying seeing your finds from that site. It sucks when you lose one, especially when it is a really good one that still produces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread