Booted from War of 1812 site today!! (After 5+ years)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
You may have seen yesterday's two nice buttons posted. This is a site where I first got permission in 2013 and have been allowed on the property regularly since then, but always thought the day might come where that would end. Today was the day. Just dumb luck and timing, as in much with life whether good or bad. The good news is Carolina Tom had a great two day visit (or 1.15 day visit since today was brief) and I had many years of amazing finds, almost always military buttons (and lots of musket balls). I never found a single old coin, so either they were found before I got there or these soldiers didn't have much $, which was probably the case. Because of erosion this is a site that will continue to be productive (or could be) for a long time. But, seems they aren't going to allow it from now on. Here's my best find ever from the site and probably my best ever at any site - gold gilded Navy Officer's button. I know that Tom will be reporting his finds in the next day or two...and he even managed to turn today's lemons into lemonade when we hit another site nearby.

Attachments

• NavyOfficer.jpg
    NavyOfficer.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 723
Upvote 34

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a bad way to end a permission. I mean if a blind sided ending is going to happen, at least you got a good last find.

Who knows though, maybe in a year or so you run into that fella who booted you, and can spark up a conversation and gain permission again. With the erosion you speak of, having some time off from that site may provide you some new ground if you gain access again.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what you do:

* Print out a bunch of photos of your best finds from that site. Arrange them in a flip book.

* Go out and buy a nice bottle of liquor or liquor gift set. Wrap it. Put a bow on it.

* Put both in a box, them send them off to the property owner with a note saying:

"Just though you'd like to see some of the wonderful history that was recovered on your property. Thanks so much for allowing us to hunt it over the years! We'd always love to come back, so please keep us in mind if that becomes an option again. Until then, Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family!"

This might cost you $40-$50. But the sentiment could possibly get you back in... or at the very least, pave the way for a good relationship with that family in the future.

Worst case scenario: you wished someone a Merry Christmas.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad. Sounds like you need a boat and water detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread