What's new

Borrow Pit finds

tonykidd

Full Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Messages
204
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The borrow pit I've found is putting out some decent finds. I was very surprised to find the two stone gorgets and an abrader. Very rare in this part of Florida. Also, the biface and uniface scrapers were within 12" of each other. Most likely coincidental but still pretty cool.

IMG_1237.webp
IMG_1238.webp
IMG_1239.webp
IMG_1240.webp
IMG_1241.webp
IMG_1242.webp
 
Upvote 0
Can you show better pictures of the holes in the two stones? The holes look natural to me and not drilled.
 
Can you show better pictures of the holes in the two stones? The holes look natural to me and not drilled.
One is definitely drilled; it's tapered from both sides. The other may be a natural hole, but the stone itself has been polished. I enlarged through a magnifying app so it may not be the best quality.

Here's one from both sides:
IMG_1243.webp
IMG_1244.webp

And close ups:
IMG_1246.webp
View attachment 1425884

The other one:
View attachment 1425887
View attachment 1425888
View attachment 1425889
 
Great pictures. That first one is drilled like you say and is a nice Pebble Pendant. The other I'm not sure about. Thanks for the better pictures.
 
Quarry's, pits etc. are great spots to look here in FL. Problem is I could never get permission! All are posted no trespassing. Some people & clubs get permission & make nice find like yours.
 
Great pictures. That first one is drilled like you say and is a nice Pebble Pendant. The other I'm not sure about. Thanks for the better pictures.

It looks like there may be some spiraling in there, but it may be just an enhancement. I found them a few inches from each other so I'm pretty confident of it's usage. The origin is from elsewhere also; not a native rock. We're in limestone country here.
 
Quarry's, pits etc. are great spots to look here in FL. Problem is I could never get permission! All are posted no trespassing. Some people & clubs get permission & make nice find like yours.

Most of the borrow pits here are useless and worthless, and the owners are all pretty receptive. I always offer to give them anything I find, but so far none have taken me up on the offer. It goes a long way when you need a reference for other landowners. That, and making sure you leave the property in the same state as you found it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom