Bottle Huntin

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Bottle Huntin'

Southern Yankee said:
Ok, I have two places to hunt. One that I used to visit as a kid ( a LOT of corked bottles) and the other place I have access to 24/7 ( behind my in-laws house) but I am not sure what to look for. Any vets have advice for a newbeeee?

Thanks,
James
I would go to the corked bottle dump first since the other one is at your in laws... 2nd you will need these things to help dig.... Long straight screwdriver, hand trowel, hand 3 prong rake, flashlight, 2 pairs of gloves ..one pair Teflon coated other pair rawhide... you will put the Teflon pair on first an the rawhide on over top of the Teflon... if it is a hill you will start at the very bottom of the dump.. pushing the dirt you dig up an junk bottles behind you working your way up the hill to the top of the dump... you will dig down til you find no more glass or the dirt turns to natural color.. most dumps will have a dark brown to black color dirt or ash when it turns light tan to light brown or you hit clay that should be the bottom of the dump layer... If it is a flat land surface dump you will find the edge an dig down to bottom of dump an work you way across the dump.. DO NOT CRISSCROSS OR JUMP AROUND.... STAY IN ONE SPOT AN STAY IN STRAIGHT LINE

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

creeper71 said:
I would go to the corked bottle dump first since the other one is at your in laws... 2nd you will need these things to help dig.... Long straight screwdriver, hand trowel, hand 3 prong rake, flashlight, 2 pairs of gloves ..one pair Teflon coated other pair rawhide... you will put the Teflon pair on first an the rawhide on over top of the Teflon... if it is a hill you will start at the very bottom of the dump.. pushing the dirt you dig up an junk bottles behind you working your way up the hill to the top of the dump... you will dig down til you find no more glass or the dirt turns to natural color.. most dumps will have a dark brown to black color dirt or ash when it turns light tan to light brown or you hit clay that should be the bottom of the dump layer... If it is a flat land surface dump you will find the edge an dig down to bottom of dump an work you way across the dump.. DO NOT CRISSCROSS OR JUMP AROUND.... STAY IN ONE SPOT AN STAY IN STRAIGHT LINE
While I agree with most of this advice, Creeper71's choice of tools is less than optimal in my opinion.
The primary digging tool used by diggers in Hawaii (and elsewhere no doubt) is the probe.
This is essentially a steel rod with a handle on the end.
My toolkit also includes a pick, shovel and iron bar for getting through the top layers (i.e. once you get to the bottles you don't use these tools lest you break them).
I find that a three foot long probe works great for digging in dump layer - but I'm a big guy (6'5" tall) and you may want to go with something a bit smaller - but most certainly bigger than a screwdriver!
Some people make their own probes from spring steel, but you can also purchase them at www.tandttools.com. Their TPA-36 works just fine!
The picture below shows a TPA-36 next to the pick. Next to that is a 1/2" diameter hook probe (another great tool). At the far right is a hand made probe using 3/8" diameter spring steel.

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 400

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

I never use a probe or a pickaxe... the screwdriver is to help pry a bottle out not to "probe".. I think your tools are a lil overboard for person with soft ground an new to digging...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Take it easy guys. After forty years down in the dumps, the only thing I use is a spade shovel and limb loppers. And gloves???? Gloves cause blisters. Probes are good for poking privies. To each his own.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

gleaner1 said:
Take it easy guys. The only thing I use is a spade shovel and limb loppers. And gloves???? Come on. Are you kidding? Oh well, to each his own.
The last 2 digs I forgot my gloves in the car.... I think what I first wrote is good enough for a beginner ..when he does it an likes it then he can get a probe... although I never seen a point of using a probe in a dump.. as long as you can read the land an know what your looking for there is no need for a probe in my opinion

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Agreed creeper, if I am looking for dumps, a metal detector is the very best tool. You can cover a lot more ground. It's the only way to go. Privies are too deep for metal detectors, and typically, there is very very little metal in a privy.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

gleaner1 said:
Agreed creeper, if I am looking for dumps, a metal detector is the very best tool. You can cover a lot more ground. It's the only way to go. Privies are too deep for metal detectors, and typically, there is very very little metal in a privy.
Privys you would need a probe to locate it... I rarely use anything but my eyes to locate a dump.... as long as you can read the land your eyes an knowledge is all you need...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Southern Yankee said:
Ok, I have two places to hunt. One that I used to visit as a kid ( a LOT of corked bottles) and the other place I have access to 24/7 ( behind my in-laws house) but I am not sure what to look for. Any vets have advice for a newbeeee?

Thanks,
James

Yankee, the hard part is finished, you have found the dumps. Take your high quality long shaft spade shovel, a potato rake, a hoe, a pick axe, a metal detector, gloves, probes, cell phone, bug spray, first aid kit, axe, pruning loppers, newspapers to wrap goodies, a good sturdy bag to haul out the spoils, a radio, camera, booze, plenty of other refreshments, lunch, and some good friends if you wish, (don't take your dog, they cut their feet very easily!). Wear boots. When you get to the site, start digging. Very carefully. Throw the gloves away.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

gleaner1 said:
Southern Yankee said:

Thanks,
James

Yankee, the hard part is finished, you have found the dumps. Take your high quality long shaft spade shovel, a potato rake, a hoe, a pick axe, a metal detector, gloves, probes, cell phone, bug spray, first aid kit, axe, pruning loppers, newspapers to wrap goodies, a good sturdy bag to haul out the spoils, a radio, camera, booze, plenty of other refreshments, lunch, and some good friends if you wish, (don't take your dog, they cut their feet very easily!). Wear boots. When you get to the site, start digging. Very carefully. Throw the gloves away.
you forgot the kitchen sink...lol j/k... I think you covered everything.... So Gleaner? you been digging 40years? that is awesome..sure wish I could hit a dump like you was digging back in the day..

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

creeper71 said:
gleaner1 said:
Southern Yankee said:

Thanks,
James

you forgot the kitchen sink...lol j/k... I think you covered everything.... So Gleaner? you been digging 40years? that is awesome..sure wish I could hit a dump like you was digging back in the day..

It's our inside joke, "no gloves allowed". I started in 1970, back in the wild heyday of diggin, everyone was doing it. The stuff coming out of the dumps was awesome. I was only seven years old, but I had a nice dump in a vacant lot in the woods next to my house. Early 1900's dump, just right to break a kid into the sport. But you have to be all growed up to do the heavy deep diggin required. I see my friends kids and they cant do it very well, but they love it and learn it, it never leaves them, its for life, the bottle bug. Nowadays, it seems all the good notorious dumps have been hit hard, but some stuff is left, many diggers get lazy and dont hit BOD (bottom of dump). Plus new dumps are out there, waiting for finding. Use your eyes. Use metal detectors. They are out there, hidden, haunting us.

As far as equipment, I only use a spade shovel, pruning saw, pruning loppers and sometimes an axe if the tree is growing around a hot spot. Bug spray as needed. And a gallon of water for drinking. I will dig a good dump in 95 degree weather. And 30 degree weather. Regards to all........

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

A very good discussion by all! :notworthy:

I too used to use a variety of tools in my digging. I find that different conditions (obviously) require different tools.

Back in my early days I used to dig almost exclusively on steep jungle covered river banks in and around Hilo, Hawaii :icon_sunny:

The best tools for that are a potato rake with the handle cut short and a cane knife (similar to a machete, but much better) - and I never wore gloves! :icon_pirat:

Later on I started digging in real serious dumps with my brother on Oahu and found out how to REALLY get the job done :headbang:

At first I thought digging with a probe was stupid, but once you learn how it's done you'll never dig with anything else - but you will want to wear gloves

Now picture this: you got a nice big hole dug down to the bottom of the dump and you're digging in the sides of the hole. You hold the probe in a horizontal orientation and carefully push it as far as you can into the dump material. You then push the handle sideways and pry out a big chunk of.....whatever (note: you often bash your knuckles into the sides of the hole doing this, so gloves are preferred). This technique allows you to remove material fast without any risk of breaking bottles. Try it out, you won't be sorry! :icon_thumright:

Here's a picture of my brother attacking the dump layer with his favorite "blaster" probe made from spring steel. :hello:

Attachments

• In_the_Hole.JPG
    In_the_Hole.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 366
  • In_the_Hole.JPG
    In_the_Hole.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 359

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

good points everybody...i like to wear gloves cause i usually poke my hands in a hole an invariably get a nasty cut...and when i dig its usually in late winter or early spring after the flood waters recede...but they do protct my fingers a little....im use to waerin gloves anyway ...i wear em about all the time i do my job......

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

sodetraveler that pic is a lil bit more then dangerous way of digging... Any beginners reading this DO NOT dig with dirt over your head... I am sure sodetraveler was experienced enough to dig like that.. side note to beginner walls an ceilings in dumps are very unstable an collapse very easy an unexpectedly....

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

creeper71 said:
sodetraveler that pic is a lil bit more then dangerous way of digging... Any beginners reading this DO NOT dig with dirt over your head... I am sure sodetraveler was experienced enough to dig like that.. side note to beginner walls an ceilings in dumps are very unstable an collapse very easy an unexpectedly....

That's great advice - no bottle is worth your life! :nono:

However, a careful look at the picture will show that my brother is not putting his head under the overhang - because he has a 3 foot long probe to dig with :headbang:

This particular dump is quite safe because the bottles are only about 4 feet deep and the fill layer on top of the dump is rock solid. We have to spend hours with a pick and iron digging bar just to smash through the fused coral (that's the white colored stuff). It won't cave in - ever! - but sometimes we get mini-cave-ins from the softer stuff underneath.

Now, if you want to see what a dangerous dump looks like, take a look at my brother and his friend digging in the old Waipahu Mill Dump. This dump is 8 feet deep and extends down another 2 to 3 feet, so sometimes the bottom is 11 feet down :o

A bottler died there many years ago as the result of a cave-in and people stopped digging there after that - at least for a little while. Put in the search words "bottle", "hunter", "waipahu" and you can read the article in the Honolulu Advertiser about the unfortunate death of Uncle Willie. He was one of the homeless guys that used to dig there and trade bottles for drugs and alchohol. These guys took big chances tunelling deep underground - and Uncle Willie paid the ultimate price! I'm amazed that the many other homeless guys that camped out there and dug every night didn't die too.

As bad as this hole looks to you in the picture, rest assured that we were extremely cautious diggers in comparison to the homeless guys that would jump in our hole as soon as we left! >:(

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 340

flasherr

Jan 17, 2011
Denton Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

one thing i was shown that has helped me is a tarp or piece of carpet. lay it down on the ground in your hole. This will only work if you have made a slope to get in and out of the hole. anyways as you dig the walls the dirt falls on the tarp then you drag it out and dump it out side your hole slinging the shovel over head for long periods gets tiring. This technique has saved me a lot of back ache. i use a little hand rake to scratch the side of the hole and sometimes use what is called a weeder to knock out the dirt above and below the bottle. I use gloves because of alot of broken glass and makes nasty cuts.

What bottles to keep that can be a hard one. First keep anything you like even if it is broken. Color is always good people love blue glass even if it is a common bottle like a milk of magnesia people still buy these to put on shelf. Sodas if it is a painted label be very careful whipping it off. If ground is moist dont wipe the bottle off let it sit out in sun for a week or so. This lets the paint harden again. if bottle is real dirty or even been in a fire and full of black try using bar keepers friend get it at walmart wont scratch the glass or the paint like some other chemicals. I have bought painted label bottles that were good from diggers because they didnt know how to clean them. Main thing is have fun and be safe no bottle is worth your life.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.JPG
    IMG_2434.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 324
OP
OP
S

Southern Yankee

Greenie
Jul 10, 2010

Diggin' the bottles is not a problem. When I was younger one of my friends and I used to dig at the corked site and use bottles for target practice for our .22 rifles :BangHead: :violent1: :crybaby2:

What I really need is to find out what types of bottles are worth money and what is worthless. The useless bottles, could they be recycled for money? I am not into it just for cash, but i like a hobby to support itself.

Thanks everyone for the tool advice. Most of these sites are less than 4 ft deep and are pretty old. The cork site, I believe, is not as old as the other site. Both of these are private dump sites and the one behind the inlaws is an old family dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions