What's new

Bottle hunting

Hunter101

Full Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2016
Messages
225
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
0
Location
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any of you could give me some advice, that would be great. I have the location of a bottle dump. I got it from an older gentleman who has been in the town for 90 years. This location is 20 feet by a half mile. Where should I start? I'm new to bottle hunting. I don't want to just start digging due to breaking things. Is there a special process? And what are some things I should look for to know where to dig?
 
Don't worry too much about breakage, most will be broken anyways and what is on top will be more modern to worry about. Look for signs of earlier discards or just do some shovel tests and see what comes out....the good stuff will be deeper. Just go have fun with it and keep us posted.
 
Find yourself a thin fiberglass rod (1/4" dia) and 3' to 4' long to use as a probe. Go to the area that looks the least disturbed (most wild; oldest). Start out several feet from the dump and probe around to see if there are any hard objects in the soil. If so (and if not too deep), move out a little farther. This would be a good place to find the oldest items.

However, if you are worried about breakage, start in a newer area using the same probe and get a feel for both the ground and the dump.

...I just noticed you are in Utah. Don't know how much soil you have there, as there is nothing but soil here!! Might just have to skip the probe and start getting a feel for things in the newer-looking parts.

Best of luck. Please let us know what you find. :icon_pirat:
 
Just dig, maybe get a probe to feel where to slow down at. Have fun! And hope to see some good posts of your finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom