What's new

Bottles from a 1969 trash pit

IHC656

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2023
Messages
345
Reaction score
1,961
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting my property I found an old trash pit. I don’t believe I am half way cleaning it out yet. Set aside some of the more interesting things to consider cleaning & saving.
I could see a 68 & 69 on the bottom of two bottles so I am dating the dump date at 1969.
Black label beer, Certo, Pepsi and don’t know what the green bottles are.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4439.webp
    IMG_4439.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4440.webp
    IMG_4440.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4443.webp
    IMG_4443.webp
    303.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4444.webp
    IMG_4444.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
I see that vintage Log Cabin Syrup bottle hiding in the background. :icon_thumleft: I will be curious to see what else turns up.
 
I would say you'd be correct on the date of the dump. In 1969, the average price of a loaf of bread was around 23 cents.
 
Nice bottles! The bread bag is cool. Let us know how far back you get when you keep diggin.
 
I am still in 1969. But found some interesting German style beer mugs. I need to research the age of the mugs yet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4949.webp
    IMG_4949.webp
    3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4950.webp
    IMG_4950.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4946.webp
    IMG_4946.webp
    4 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4951.webp
    IMG_4951.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
Cool Prince Albert pipe tobacco tin.
I'll always remember the smell of the smoke when visiting an old neighbor when I was a child in the 60's.
 
Not a bottle expert, but will tell you the mason jar is a keeper. Got a bunch like that after my grandmother passed (along with square ones from the 30-40s). Still use them today. Those are the ones that don’t get gifted with canned goodies inside. Twice as thick as what you can buy today.
 
Not a bottle expert, but will tell you the mason jar is a keeper. Got a bunch like that after my grandmother passed (along with square ones from the 30-40s). Still use them today. Those are the ones that don’t get gifted with canned goodies inside. Twice as thick as what you can buy today.
I cleaned the jar and have it setting on a shelf.
1933-1962 version.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4954.webp
    IMG_4954.webp
    921.2 KB · Views: 67
Cool Prince Albert pipe tobacco tin.
I'll always remember the smell of the smoke when visiting an old neighbor when I was a child in the 60's.
I believe that was what my Great Grandfather smoked. I remember him smoking his pipe with a horse head ash tray stand. Early 80’s.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom