What's new

JR Nichols & Co, Chemists

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,106
Reaction score
34,458
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IMG_0753.webp

Bottle Vitals​


DateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)Value*
JR Nichols & Co1870sAquaRectangular10" x3" x 2"$15.00

Bottle Views (click to enlarge):
FrontBackSideSideBottom
IMG_0753.webpIMG_0754.webpIMG_0755.webpIMG_0756.webpIMG_0757.webp
J R Nichols & CoChemistsBoston

James R Nichols was a chemist in 1850's Boston. His company manufactured a lot of different things, as shown on this card from the time:

default.webp


Mr Nichols company also made some patent medicines, including Sarsaparilla, which may have been what was in this bottle. It's hard to say, since any paper label has long since faded away. Here's an ad for the Sarsaparilla (click to enlarge).

Buffalo_Courier_Express_1866_08_18_3.webp

Like most medicines of the time, it could cure just about anything, and the symptoms so vague that almost everyone could say they had one or more of the conditions that needed curing.

The_Boston_Globe_1886_11_13_8.webp


Mr Nichols apparently did quite well in his business ventures, and eventually built himself a castle inspired by those he saw on his travels in Europe.

Winnikenni-Castlevm.jpg.webp


He sold his interest in the company in 1872, and it was renamed to "Billings, Clapp, & Co". I am assuming this bottle is from the time period before the name change.

Here's the before and after. This one didn't clean up as much as I had thought it would, and could probably use a run in a bottle tumbler. (I don't have a "real" bottle tumbler, but I'm considering it. I could keep it spinning for a long time...)

IMG_0705.webp IMG_0753.webp

* Value is based on sold eBay listings at the time of posting, and varies with condition.
 

Bottle Vitals​


DateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)Value*
JR Nichols & Co1870sAquaRectangular10" x3" x 2"$15.00

Bottle Views (click to enlarge):

James R Nichols was a chemist in 1850's Boston. His company manufactured a lot of different things, as shown on this card from the time:

View attachment 2208164

Mr Nichols company also made some patent medicines, including Sarsaparilla, which may have been what was in this bottle. It's hard to say, since any paper label has long since faded away. Here's an ad for the Sarsaparilla (click to enlarge).

View attachment 2208161

Like most medicines of the time, it could cure just about anything, and the symptoms so vague that almost everyone could say they had one or more of the conditions that needed curing.

View attachment 2208162

Mr Nichols apparently did quite well in his business ventures, and eventually built himself a castle inspired by those he saw on his travels in Europe.

View attachment 2208171

He sold his interest in the company in 1872, and it was renamed to "Billings, Clapp, & Co". I am assuming this bottle is from the time period before the name change.

Here's the before and after. This one didn't clean up as much as I had thought it would, and could probably use a run in a bottle tumbler. (I don't have a "real" bottle tumbler, but I'm considering it. I could keep it spinning for a long time...)

View attachment 2208170 View attachment 2208169

* Value is based on sold eBay listings at the time of posting, and varies with condition.
Nice house he had.
I'm jealous
 
Another great job Robert. And yes it could use awhile in a tumbler. What's next....??
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom