Bounty Hunter Platinum Users Thread

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Hi all I know been long time since I posted but thought this might interest someone .I have bounty hunter platinum for couple years now.well couple weeks ago I went out to hunt for goodies.I started out good but not 5 minutes into hunt my detector went crazy beeping at everything point it at the sky still no change.so shut it off thinking that would fix it but to no avail.So called bounty hunter repair they said send it in so I did.they said that the original coil was not good so replaced it.well I got it back this afternoon.thinking it should be fixed I installed a new
Battery put it back together and out the door I went.I turned it on ground balanced it and started off in about 5 minutes it went crazy again like it did before .so I am thinking wtf its not fixed so check cord making sure its plugged in good nope not the problem well hmm I guess I send it back.then I get to thinking what is different why is it doing this.it then dawns on me that I had changed cell phones. So got to the house and leave the phone at home.well that seemed to clear up the problem then got rained out .did manage to find a zinc and copper pennies and some can slaw .so the point of this post if your machine acting crazy might try leaving cell phone and see if it helps.sorry for long post and thanks for reading happy hunting everyone be safe and take care

hopeful_digger

Greenie
Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same thing happen to me, also. Makes you wonder if it scrambles our brains the same way, doesn't it? LOL

At least you got a new coil for your trouble.

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platnium...Dad had a Whites Coin Master in the 80's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I'm new to using a MD but used to go out with my dad when I was a kid. With that being said my GF bought me a BH Platinum for Christmas and have about 3 hours of use with it so far. Have had a issue with the Ground Grab until today,finally got it to work I think. I realize it takes time to get used to using this machine but man I cant find squat, I've found 3, I guess you call them clad pennies. Junk and Aluminum cans is all I am finding right now. Hit my yard and my neighbors back yard,our woods with no luck. The reading on most stuff just jumps all over the display,its hard for me to tell whats worth digging. The manual gives ranges of whats considered good signal,no luck with the ranges they state. Oh I have a BH pinpointer also which once I can afford a better I will get one,just frustrating because I cant get the grasp of this machine. I have a lot of fields in my area and gonna ask if i dig them soon,maybe that get me going in the right direction. I feel let down with the BHP. Thanks and great website. Oh I spelled Platinum wrong in my name..oh my.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Platinum is based off the same 7.7 khz "Frat Bros" technology that runs many tried and proven Teknetics and Fisher detectors. They are very sensitive and can be chatty if next to EMI or very bad soils. Run them about 75% sensitivity and disc out iron to start.

Bury test coins at various depths in your backyard (2-4-6-8 inches)....air test like crazy until you have the numbers memorized. Read the manual 3-4 times front to back.

You have 3 hours in the hobby - some guys spend 100 hours with a single machine to see if they like it. Take it slow and learn it properly. The BH Platinum is a tried and proved "Frat Bros" machine. For the price - they are very hard to beat.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
I'm new to using a MD but used to go out with my dad when I was a kid. With that being said my GF bought me a BH Platinum for Christmas and have about 3 hours of use with it so far. Have had a issue with the Ground Grab until today,finally got it to work I think. I realize it takes time to get used to using this machine but man I cant find squat, I've found 3, I guess you call them clad pennies. Junk and Aluminum cans is all I am finding right now. Hit my yard and my neighbors back yard,our woods with no luck. The reading on most stuff just jumps all over the display,its hard for me to tell whats worth digging. The manual gives ranges of whats considered good signal,no luck with the ranges they state. Oh I have a BH pinpointer also which once I can afford a better I will get one,just frustrating because I cant get the grasp of this machine. I have a lot of fields in my area and gonna ask if i dig them soon,maybe that get me going in the right direction. I feel let down with the BHP. Thanks and great website. Oh I spelled Platinum wrong in my name..oh my.

make sure you have no discrimination on when you get to the site you are going to hunt. Sweep your coil until you find a quiet spot and then do your ground grab.

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Platinum is based off the same 7.7 khz "Frat Bros" technology that runs many tried and proven Teknetics and Fisher detectors. They are very sensitive and can be chatty if next to EMI or very bad soils. Run them about 75% sensitivity and disc out iron to start.

Bury test coins at various depths in your backyard (2-4-6-8 inches)....air test like crazy until you have the numbers memorized. Read the manual 3-4 times front to back.

You have 3 hours in the hobby - some guys spend 100 hours with a single machine to see if they like it. Take it slow and learn it properly. The BH Platinum is a tried and proved "Frat Bros" machine. For the price - they are very hard to beat.

Thanks, I know that I'm new to this just was hoping it would be easier than it is. Good advice on the air test and bury test. I'm digging in very trashy areas so this is part of the problem. My memory is crap so I'll just make a cheat sheet. I'll update when I can.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good thread with lots of helpful info. Thanks!

Going to be getting my son his BHP this weekend. He is excited and can't wait but the snow will damper the initial testing. We will have to try it out inside. I will have to consider the info posters put up about the 11" coil. The unit he is getting comes with the 8".

Side by side the BHP looks identical to the Tek Omega 6000. They do have a difference in price but the stats look very similar. Anyone own both and could expand on the differences, if any?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

You gotta give it a chance, spend some hours on it, do some reading, watch some videos. I have a feeling you will end up liking it if you put the time and effort it.
I do see one problem..... if you do as suggested, you will not like your username anymore! :occasion14:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread with lots of helpful info. Thanks!

Going to be getting my son his BHP this weekend. He is excited and can't wait but the snow will damper the initial testing. We will have to try it out inside. I will have to consider the info posters put up about the 11" coil. The unit he is getting comes with the 8".

Side by side the BHP looks identical to the Tek Omega 6000. They do have a difference in price but the stats look very similar. Anyone own both and could expand on the differences, if any?

You mean the Gamma not Omega. :) While they look identical - they are not the same internally. Thus the price difference in the Teknetics version.

From Dave Johnson...lead engineer at First Texas....

The Gamma and the Platinum are superficially similar, but many differences in details. Some of those differences are not described anywhere in sales literature because they involve trade secrets. Both machines offer good value in their price range.

--Dave J.

And...

Despite obvious similarities, they aren't the same. It's possible that something got miscommunicated or that the person with whom you talked wasn't aware of the differences since they are mostly things that don't show up on a "list of features" sales sheet.

Responding to Sandman: single-frequency metal detectors can be used on saltwater beaches, but under most conditions there will be a serious reduction in performance as you get into the wet stuff and some may not work literally in the water. However, there are substantial differences between models in how they deal with a wet salt environment. This is an area where the Gamma is superior to the Platinum.

As I said in a previous post, the Gamma and Platinum are sold in different price ranges and both offer good value in their respective price ranges.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean the Gamma not Omega. :) While they look identical - they are not the same internally. Thus the price difference in the Teknetics version.

From Dave Johnson...lead engineer at First Texas....

The Gamma and the Platinum are superficially similar, but many differences in details. Some of those differences are not described anywhere in sales literature because they involve trade secrets. Both machines offer good value in their price range.

--Dave J.

And...

Despite obvious similarities, they aren't the same. It's possible that something got miscommunicated or that the person with whom you talked wasn't aware of the differences since they are mostly things that don't show up on a "list of features" sales sheet.

Responding to Sandman: single-frequency metal detectors can be used on saltwater beaches, but under most conditions there will be a serious reduction in performance as you get into the wet stuff and some may not work literally in the water. However, there are substantial differences between models in how they deal with a wet salt environment. This is an area where the Gamma is superior to the Platinum.

As I said in a previous post, the Gamma and Platinum are sold in different price ranges and both offer good value in their respective price ranges.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

Thanks THGT! I did mean Gamma not Omega. So it looks like super secret inside stuff is the biggest differences. I didn't know the Gamma was better for saltwater, that info I did not see. On the sales sheet they look so similar with the only differences being:

BHP - TG6000
4 tone - 3 tone
1/4 & 1/8 jack - 1/4 jack
Auto & Man - Man
Ground Bal - Ground Bal

I was reading a thread I believe you started about swapping out coils for the frat boys... this includes Fisher, Bounty Hunter and Teknetics, right?
Do you know where it was posted? Was looking for a while but couldn't find it as I always get sidetracked on a cool thread I haven't seen before.

Also wanted to say thanks for all your posts and videos. Great work and you make "The Hunt" look fun! :headbang: :occasion14:

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta give it a chance, spend some hours on it, do some reading, watch some videos. I have a feeling you will end up liking it if you put the time and effort it.
I do see one problem..... if you do as suggested, you will not like your username anymore! :occasion14:

Yeah I want to change it, I was just so frustrated when I made this account. Its not the machine Its ME! Leaning curves and I do not get along. I'M gonna get out and put some time in this next weekend to mid next week. Weather will be good and i just got to find better places to hunt. Thanks and hope your son will do better with the BHP than I have so far. I will get used to this.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I want to change it, I was just so frustrated when I made this account. Its not the machine Its ME! Leaning curves and I do not get along. I'M gonna get out and put some time in this next weekend to mid next week. Weather will be good and i just got to find better places to hunt. Thanks and hope your son will do better with the BHP than I have so far. I will get used to this.

Thanks! Glad to see you are feeling better about it. I get calls similar all the time as I help people out... not MD's, other items.
Go in with a smile and give it some time... I think you will be surprised. Keep us posted and I will let you know how my son makes out. He is really excited!!!

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I got permission to hunt my Neighbors fields two houses down today,went for about 2 hours or so and found a big rusted steel ring,a bullet (modern) I think and some copper or brass pipe. Im trying not to get frustrated but I just cant figure this thing out. Yes I'm a moron. Not sure if the jumpingness of the signals is on my end? Ground grab is still my main issue,but trying. Just wish there was a Youtube video on how this works. There is no one for me to talk to or ask for help with my detector. Learning exactly where the signal is an issue as well for me right now. I'm not gonna give up.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this field a place where people have been known to traffic? If not - and it's just some random field - pass it on.

Stick to schools...parks...front lawns (permission)...curb strips...churches (permission).

Make sure you are burying coins at 2-4-6 inches and practicing pin-pointing. It will become 2nd nature.

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this field a place where people have been known to traffic? If not - and it's just some random field - pass it on.

Stick to schools...parks...front lawns (permission)...curb strips...churches (permission).

Make sure you are burying coins at 2-4-6 inches and practicing pin-pointing. It will become 2nd nature.

I don't drive so I don't really have a choice,I live in the sticks but a park is a few miles away. A few places where homes used to stand are in my neighborhood so for me the fields and those areas will be practice. it will be in the 60's this weekend so I'll bury coins and practice that. Thanks and subbed your channel

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we got my son his BHP today and he was excited. Got him some other goodies to make him complete as well. Got a decent digger that fit his hand and a Garret pouch. He got a starter Pin pointer free with the unit and from initial testing it looked to do a decent job. As we get more into MDing, we will upgrade him as needed. Unboxing and setup was real easy and we were off to test the unit.

Pulled out some coins and metals and the nice display and ease of use was really nice. Played with discrimination modes and learned how to eliminate iron and nickels. Then played with the notch feature and learned how to add in items like the nickle. Pretty straight forward machine!

We then threw down a bunch of coins and played in all metal mode. The unit is really nice with the big numbers and the top bar was right on every target. My son had a really big ear to ear grin and was wishing all the snow was gone from our whole yard. Hey, we had a nice section shoveled out so at least we had a decent play/test area. I wanted to start playing in the tone section but it was getting late and he wanted to go out for Chinese so it was time to pack it up and go get some food. Cant wait to play some more tomorrow! Both of us. :occasion14:

With about 15" of snow still out there, swinging will not be very extensive but it is a good time to play, experimenter and learn the device. I will try to put up a pic tomorrow and I look forward to all the fun. Thanks to all who have helped in our journey so far.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread