Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Accessories

Shamus

Sep 27, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Accessories

A week ago today I ordered a Tracker IV from Belda's in Bend, Oregon. It just arrived yesterday afternoon. I played with it a bit last night and today, just in my own front yard. I've only used it for about an hour or so total, but here's what I think of it so far.

I've used a detector before, just a few times back in the 1970s, but other than that I'm a rank newbie. I wanted a cheaper detector for my first one. I couldn't justify spending $700ish on a new hobby that I might not even like once I tried it. I chose the Tracker IV because it had some pretty good user reviews, and because I liked the idea of having an analog meter as opposed to a digital display. I don't know why, but the digital displays that I saw, even on the higher-end detectors (White's, Garrett) seemed a bit cheesy to me, like they were meant to add an "Oh, shiny!" aspect to the detector to make it sell. They just turned me off. Besides, I have an electronics background and have found that an analog volt-ohm-milliamp meter can tell me more than a digital meter by the movement of the needle. I thought that the same might apply on metal detectors.

The detector shipped with no instruction manual, but I'd already downloaded it in .pdf (Adobe Acrobat reader) format from BH's website and looked it over. All that came in the box was the detector, a warranty registration card, a "free subscription" offer from lost Treasure magazine (which, after reading the fine print, turned out to be one free issue if you signed up for a pay-for subscription, but after looking over the free issue you could cancel the subscription at no charge when you got the bill). Mark Belda also managed to fit the soft case, coil cover, headphones, digging tool and a free billed-style Bounty Hunter cap into the detector's box. (Nice cap!)

The BH brand headphones have a 1/8" stereo plug whereas the Tracker IV has a 1/4" jack. I have an adaptor around here somewhere if I can find it, otherwise any Radio Shack has them. BH should have included one with the phones, though, like most stereo (music) headphones do. The phones are lightweight, well padded and comfortable, with an in-line volume control on the cord. The volume control has a belt clip. They lack individual right and left volume controls but that shouldn't really matter. Meanwhile I've been using the detector's speaker until I come up with that adaptor.

The Tracker IV supposedly comes stock with an 8 inch coil, but the BH brand 8" coil cover doesn't fit over the coil- it's too small. Guess I'll have to ask Mark about that. Maybe I ordered the wrong one?

It took all of five minutes to assemble the detector. The cord for the coil terminates in a 6-pin (I think) DIN plug which plugs into the back of the control box in one corner. Be careful you orient the plug and jack properly before shoving it in lest you bend the pins. This connector is similar to that used on radio microphones (CB radios). Overall, the construction is very lightweight though it seems sturdy enough, though maybe not as much as the more expensive detectors. I'm used to the older 70's technology such as the White's Coinmaster, with the blue metal box containing the control circuitry. The Tracker's light weight makes it comfortable to use, and the modern style of bent tube with handgrip and wrist rest is a lot more comfortable than the old detectors. It has a "stand" on the underside of the control box so when you lay the detector down it keeps the control box off of the (potentially damp or wet) ground. In practise I've found that the stand doesn't support the detector all that well on uneven ground- it still tends to want to lay on its side. The stand is better than nothing, though, and works OK most of the time if you're careful when you set the unit down.

It takes two 9-volt transistor radio-type batteries, alkaline only. I hate these type of batteries. It's always hard to get the connectors to snap onto them properly. The manual says to place the batteries so that one has the connector facing you and the other has it on the other side, away from you. I was kind of leery about smashing the wires that led to the battery connectors, but I got them in and the cover on.

I haven't done the recommended test/demo where you lay the detector on a table and do an air test with a quarter, nickle, penny, bit of aluminum foil and a nail to check the different tones. I need to do that. I just took it out into my yard and started using it.

In all-metal mode I located a 60-penny (6 inch long) double-headed nail about 5 or 6 inches down. In discriminator mode it did not detect the nail. Also in discriminator mode I found three Lincoln pennies, varying in depth from in the sod to 5 inches down, as well as a scrap of aluminum foil at about that same depth. With the sensitivity turned over halfway up it even detected the copper water pipe running through my yard between the meter and my house. I had this pipe replaced a few years ago and (per local code) it's buried at least two feet deep. I suppose I could have been detecting coins or something, but I was getting so many signals along the line-of-sight between the water meter cover and where I knew the connection to my house was located that I decided "Hey, I'm not even digging there".

The meter doesn't do a whole lot of good. It usually just pegs on any signal. I may have the sensitivity up too high. I'll have to play with it and get more used to it before I decide whether or not the meter is worthless. So far I've just relied on the tone to tell me there's something there.

The Tracker IV is a motion-style detector. It only detects metal when the coil is in motion. With the stock 8" coil I've had a bit of difficulty pinpointing the spot accurately. This may be a matter of getting to know the detector and getting used to it, so I may get better at this with practice.

There are three modes: all metal, tone and discriminate. All metal detects everything. Tone gives a low tone for some metals (aluminum and gold) and a high tone for others (copper, nickle, silver). Discriminate causes the detector to ignore iron and steel. The discriminate control knob allows you to set the threshhold of this rejection. In tone mode it can give a broken tone to indicate pull-tabs (or rings/necklaces) as opposed to a solid tone to indicate coins.

Pros:
Automatic ground balancing (or whatever it's called) to compensate for mineral- or salt-rich soil
Light weight
Low price.
Easy to use. Turn it on and go.
5 year factory warranty.
Good performance considering its price. It "just works".
Reported to have pretty good battery life when using headphones (it takes more "juice" to power the audio amplifier needed to drive the speaker), something on the order of 24 or more hours. That works out to several days of detecting in typical useage.

Cons:
Doesn't detect when held still, making it harder to pinpoint locations.
Doesn't indicate the depth of the object well (again, this may be a matter of reducing sensitivity and learning how to use the analog meter)
Doesn't reject aluminum (I don't think any metal detectors do this. It would sure be nice if they did!)
9 volt batteries are a bit of a pain to connect.
No user manual- you have to download it on the Internet.
Manual doesn't explain how to use the meter.
No option for using rechargeable batteries.

Conclusion:
I'm already thinking of buying a better detector, one that detects when held still. But I figure I'll wait about a year or so, and meantime get to know the one I have as well as I can. Meanwhile I'm having fun with the Tracker IV, which is the main thing. Considering its $129 (US) price tag I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm still not sure how much I'll end up using it: I have a bad habit of diving into new hobbies and then losing interest after a while. It's like would-be musicians tend to buy cheap instruments then become dissatisfied with the music they make and give up, blaming themselves, rather than buying a quality instrument that sounds good to start with. I think the Tracker IV is an adequate instrument, performing well enough to hold my interest in the hobby and is keepable enough as a spare or loaner detector should I really get into it and buy a better model later. I don't fancy myself selling it on eBay any time soon, at any rate.

By the way, Belda's is pretty cool to do business with. If you can make it to Bend. Oregon Mark will take you out and show you how to use your detector, either when you buy it or anytime afterwards. And you get to keep what you find (think gold nuggets)! :)

X

xupz

Re: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Accessories

Sup Shamus. I've been lurking the site awhile figured I'd sign up. Anyway, I've been using a Tracker IV for a solid 6 months now, mainly beach, some dry sand, but wet sand mostly at low tide. The Tracker IV is a real coin beast. I can't stress this point enough. If there's a coin in the ground, the tracker iv WILL find it. I'd say anything 6" easy. The indicator on the tracker iv is completely worthless and unnecessary and I never use it. I suggest you not bother with the meter at all, most of the better detectors are all by ear and you should learn to use it that way. Pinpointing takes some getting used to because it's a motion detector, but it's quite simple if the target is small. I doubt there's a better detector on the market at the tracker iv price range. The best settings for coin hunting is either in disc or tone with disc at minimum setting. I use tone for everything at the beach, disc 1/2 for dry, none for wet. All metal in wet sand can only handle sens about 1/2+ before it starts falsing. The depth varies but I figure I'm getting 5" on average. It's not great depth but enough to find recent drops over a busy weekend.

Even in wet sand it performs well, tone/sens about 3/4 (here) and I've found plenty of jewelry such as chains, few rings (silver), gold hoop earring, and at least $40+ in clad, usually I go for 2-3 hours on sundays for the low tides and sometimes in the evenings when the minus tide is about.

Anyway, it's a solid basic machine that performs very well, exceptionally well on clad. I plan on upgrading to the Infinium soon for beach hunting for the depth, but the Tracker IV will always be my backup for anywhere else.

OP
OP
Shamus

Shamus

Sep 27, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Re: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Accessories

I agree that it's a great detector for the money (US$90 on Amazon.com, though I paid $130 at Belda's. But Mark Belda needs my money more than Jeff Bezos does, and Mark offers after-sale support). Even if I do eventually upgrade I'll still keep the Tracker IV around as a spare and loaner detector.

I admit that when it goes beep I usually don't even bother looking at the meter and just go by the tone.

I've kind of gotten the hang of pinpointing via an "X marks the spot" search pattern when I get a hit, and manage to narrow it down to within about 6 inches. The hole needs to be that big anyway, to allow room for digging. Except for once, when I found that the hit went away when I switched out of all metal mode and decided that it was iron or steel (probably a nail) and gave up, I've always found the target.

I've only used it for a total of about 90 minutes and have already found three coins, albeit only Lincoln pennies. Other people say that they've taken several days before finding their first coin using other detectors, so I am impressed that way.

Its light weight makes it very easy to use. I expect I could go all day with little or no fatigue.

I only wish that I decided to get one earlier in the year instead of now when the weather's starting to turn crappy! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread