What's new

Bracelet age ID needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hit the trusty woods yesterday morning looking for some new Colonial "house seats" as they are called around here. Or foundations as they are called in the North. The area I searched was near a Revolutionary War Skirmish site far from any town or village. It's written "battle" but stories grow every year it seems. This item which I believe to be a copper bracelet seems old. Very old. Of course it's been tumbled on the forest floor for a good number of years, but it also has weight. It's not at all light. I'm wondering if the design can be ID'd to it's era.
Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • PICT0003.webp
    PICT0003.webp
    34 KB · Views: 436
  • PICT0004.webp
    PICT0004.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 438
  • PICT0005.webp
    PICT0005.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 440
Hi Mike, you have a difficult one here. The only thing I recognised was the suspender clip at the top of the second photo :laughing7:. The artifact certainly has an old feel to it, but as to exactly what it's purpose and age are, I am afraid I'm flummoxed. A bracelet is a possibility, maybe a clip of some sort (like a bicycle clip, in style) to attach to a post or tree for identification or even some sort of furniture decoration :dontknow:, I'm spit balling here. The people that I would ask first, and in no particular order, are Silver Searcher, Crusader, Iron Patch and Mac. Hopefully they will look here soon.


All the best

Ian
 
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:

That's a weird one you have there Mike :icon_scratch: it looks to me like the ends were meant to be rolled up :P and the centre part looks like a clip, perhaps a decrotive cover for something :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Hi Mike,
Sorry, I can't help you with this one either - love the colour that its gone though, real pretty.
I agree with SS, the rolled up ends haven't happened like that by tumbling on the forest floor.
All the best.
 
Upvote 0
If this is a bracelet, which I'm not too sure that it is . . .
I'd say that it would date to about 1830 or 40. Hard to tell
what it is . . . looks to be made of bronze though. :icon_scratch:

Very interesting piece Mike,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a homemade running repair, possibly to hold leather together or even sheet metal. (but just a guess, although I'm pretty sure its not jewelry related)
 
Upvote 0
Hey Mike, I am going to go against popular opinion on this. :o I believe that it is a bracelet that has been wantingly twisted and bent for whatever reason. Just my gut feeling, but what do I know?

I come across old jewelry that has been defaced by the disposer quite often.
 
Upvote 0
thrillathahunt said:
Hey Mike, I am going to go against popular opinion on this. :o I believe that it is a bracelet that has been wantingly twisted and bent for whatever reason. Just my gut feeling, but what do I know?

I come across old jewelry that has been defaced by the disposer quite often.
Thank you!
I have dug hundreds of 1800's copper bracelets in the past. They are usually plain with little detail like this one. The one in question, was used around the wrist as well. I was hoping by design it could be dated. Oh well another one of those mysteries I guess. Thanks everyone
 
Upvote 0
looks like it was rolled like the strip off of a spam can or old tuna. (knowing that it is not those items)... i don't know
 
Upvote 0
Hey M, I think it's a Native American (and in your case because of location: Cherokee) jewelry. Perhaps it could be part of a tribal bone and/or beaded chest necklace, and the rolled up side parts held rawhide. It could easily be a bracelet or any other type of Nat. Am. jewelry. Interesting find, Breezie
PS: Regards to Ms. M & M-ette ;D
 

Attachments

  • CHEROKEE-INDIAN.webp
    CHEROKEE-INDIAN.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Hey M, I think it's a Native American (and in your case because of location: Cherokee) jewelry. Perhaps it could be part of a tribal bone and/or beaded chest necklace, and the rolled up side parts held rawhide. It could easily be a bracelet or any other type of Nat. Am. jewelry. Interesting find, Breezie
PS: Regards to Ms. M & M-ette ;D
You know Donna, you could be right. UNC was just there not too long ago doing an Archaeological Native American dig. It was dug closer to your area. I'll take it to the College and see what they say. I hope you are feeling better,

MMS
 
Upvote 0
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Breezie said:
Hey M, I think it's a Native American (and in your case because of location: Cherokee) jewelry. Perhaps it could be part of a tribal bone and/or beaded chest necklace, and the rolled up side parts held rawhide. It could easily be a bracelet or any other type of Nat. Am. jewelry. Interesting find, Breezie
PS: Regards to Ms. M & M-ette ;D
You know Donna, you could be right. UNC was just there not too long ago doing an Archaeological Native American dig. It was dug closer to your area. I'll take it to the College and see what they say. I hope you are feeling better,

MMS

Yes, Mike, I'm feeling MUCH better, and thank you for asking. I look forward to hearing the RSVP from UNC. ;D
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's a martingale or some other type of horse decoration.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom