terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back yesterday to the site that gave up the 1869 IH last week, and was not disappointed. I am finding the pickings are few and far between at this old home, but the finds that come up are nice. The 1845 is my first large cent in nearly a year, and my first braided. Also found a copper whatchamacallit and two flat buttons. Any ID help for the buttons would be appreciated. The smaller button reads "Treble Gilt Stand. Colour". The strangely patterned item has a threaded hole in it.

Funny the way things happen. It was a wet day and after three hours I was getting soaked. I promised myself to go home after one more quality signal. I'm glad I stayed for that sweet high tone, because the next signal turned out the be the large cent!

My next trip to the site I'll take Sniffy's advice and start clearing out some iron.
-Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That site definitely dates to at least the late-1700s with that Dandy button. Keep digging and the Georgies will greet you with a smile. :) Maryland is know to produce the Colonial goods, so stay focused and make it happen in a Colonial way. :icon_thumleft: :hello2:

Kirk

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
That large Colonial button tells me there are King Georges and early-year large cents waiting to be found there. I found three of them at our latest site.

Keep hitting that site hard!

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
That site definitely dates to at least the late-1700s with that Dandy button. Keep digging and the Georgies will greet you with a smile. :) Maryland is know to produce the Colonial goods, so stay focused and make it happen in a Colonial way. :icon_thumleft: :hello2:

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I had never even heard of a Dandy button before. Now I'm really fired up that there may be some colonial goods around.

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
That large Colonial button tells me there are King Georges and early-year large cents waiting to be found there. I found three of them at our latest site.

Keep hitting that site hard!
Thanks Kyle. I'll keep pounding it hard. I know that this particular home was visited by Thomas Jefferson several times towards the end of his life. Although the current house dates to 1817, but there could have been a home on the site before this one was built.
Keep that colonial passion high!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread