brand new Equinox excess chatter

foundationfinds

Greenie
Dec 4, 2023
Detector(s) used
equinox 900
Hi all. I'm brand new to detecting. Picked up a new Equinox 900. Been through the manual. Found a couple decent youtube getting started videos as well.
I set it to 2 tones to get started. noise canceled, ground balanced, noise canceled again.
I am having to turn the sensitivity way down to like 13 to eliminate MOST of the chatter. That was my biggest surprise/frustration, given most videos online they are turning the sensitivity way up. Well into the 20s. I've tried both park, both field and at least one beach setting and it holds true with each.
Any advice?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Picked up a new Equinox 900...having to turn the sensitivity...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BRANDS > MINELAB > EQUINOX 900 for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm brand new to detecting. Picked up a new Equinox 900. Been through the manual. Found a couple decent youtube getting started videos as well.
I set it to 2 tones to get started. noise canceled, ground balanced, noise canceled again.
I am having to turn the sensitivity way down to like 13 to eliminate MOST of the chatter. That was my biggest surprise/frustration, given most videos online they are turning the sensitivity way up. Well into the 20s. I've tried both park, both field and at least one beach setting and it holds true with each.
Any advice?
I've owned the Nox 800, and now the Manticore, both machined will sound like machine guns with all the chatter. 1st thing to try is turning down the sensitivity. If that does not work, decide which program is going to be your main hunting program, then which program you will be notching out the chatter. The chatter is mostly junk and ground mineralization. Here in AZ it depends what park I am in, there are a few that will give you a migraine because of the chatter, they are the parks the homeless like, and throw down anything you can imagine. Notching, will probably only find you clad, but it is better than the noise.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you're not testing this inside your house. :laughing7: Try a few different venues to see if it's site specific or the detector. WiFi is becoming a real problem in some areas.

OP
OP
F

foundationfinds

Greenie
Dec 4, 2023
Detector(s) used
equinox 900
I hope you're not testing this inside your house. :laughing7: Try a few different venues to see if it's site specific or the detector. WiFi is becoming a real problem in some areas.
not indoors. :-) front and back yards of an acre and a half property
houses surrounding on all sides though, so possibly wi-fi. I am gonna throw the 6" coil on it next time I'm out and see if it is any less sensitive. I'll plan on getting away from houses next time too. Thanks for the info. Never would've thought of the wi-fi

OP
OP
F

foundationfinds

Greenie
Dec 4, 2023
Detector(s) used
equinox 900
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BRANDS > MINELAB > EQUINOX 900 for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.
Thanks for doing that. Got some decent feedback already

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have neighbors with electric fences and I have found that if I am too close to that end of my property I get unbearable chatter. I try changing frequencies, lowering sensitivity, or moving to the other end of the property. Some days are worse than others. Some days are OK. I am using the Equinox 800. Good luck and happy hunting!

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any advice?
I use an 800, and have found my phone gives me chatter,cespecially certain apps. If the camera is on, and is in hand next to machine, I hear it.
Make sure apps are closed and phone in back pocket.
Weird, but it mattered to me.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have a cell phone on you , my machine chatters at my phone. I don't have your brand machine but this may be the cause . get away from the house into some woods to figure things out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread