cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to look the rules up. They're not a secret and should be posted on the government site that owns that property, be it city, town, county, or state. No mention of detecting? Great! Go for it responsibly. Leave the place looking as good if not better than you found it. Use proper methods of target recovery (trap door plugs in the turf) and take with you any trash you uncover. Good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone here detected at Brandon Park in Williamsport? Is it still allowed? Thanks

I think I've been up in the wooded area away from the ball fields with a detectorist that lives there (he is a member here) a couple years ago, but there are so many other places you could hit in that area. Way historical. Good luck!:occasion14:

OP
OP
ugly_plugs

ugly_plugs

Jan 30, 2020
PA - Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Nokta Makro Simplex
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I've been up in the wooded area away from the ball fields with a detectorist that lives there (he is a member here) a couple years ago, but there are so many other places you could hit in that area. Way historical. Good luck!:occasion14:

Thanks for the replies. I grew up near there, but now live 90 minutes away, so I am trying to get some info before wasting a drive.

I contacted the recreation department, who then directed me to the codes department lol. :laughing7:

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the city administrator by email if the town where I live allowed metal detecting, he got back to me the next day and said he couldn’t find any codes that prohibited it, permission granted

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the city administrator by email if the town where I live allowed metal detecting, he got back to me the next day and said he couldn’t find any codes that prohibited it, permission granted

But, now you got them thinking about it though.....

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, damed if ya do, damed if ya don’t. Same affect if the city asks you to leave because they see what your doing or people complain that there is someone digging up the parks. At least I have the email on my phone stating there is no code against it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the city asks you to leave, having an email isn't going to negate that. If they ask you to leave, and you refuse because you think you can just wave your permission slip, they'll just have the police remove you, and let a judge decide. It's better if nobody knows you're there, or have been. Someone complaining is not going to look at your email either if they have it in mind that you're doing something wrong. Knowing what the rules are is all you're really after, and that can be found by looking them up yourself. Asking someone for permission, presumes to them that for some reason you NEED permission, or why would you be asking. That gives them the power to decide. Well, guess what the usual answer is? Yes, and they put their butt on the line. No, and they're safe from criticism from superiors. What do you think the majority of them will say?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW The first Half of That Scared Me.
Usually People in Power Like to Push their Power for Evil !

Especially when they can do it from Afar.

Congrats !

Don't Double check ! Just Enjoy !

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, damed if ya do, damed if ya don’t. Same affect if the city asks you to leave because they see what your doing or people complain that there is someone digging up the parks. At least I have the email on my phone stating there is no code against it.

Yep ! Most likely the closest Code will be destruction of Natural Ground Cover or removal of Items from the Park,
Which shouldn't effect you, But A-Holes may Try if you call them on it.
the rules like that are to Prevent Theft of Garden Flowers, Grass Plots, & Picnic Tables. But Just Enjoy ! & Good Hunting !

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the city asks you to leave, having an email isn't going to negate that. If they ask you to leave, and you refuse because you think you can just wave your permission slip, they'll just have the police remove you, and let a judge decide. It's better if nobody knows you're there, or have been. Someone complaining is not going to look at your email either if they have it in mind that you're doing something wrong. Knowing what the rules are is all you're really after, and that can be found by looking them up yourself. Asking someone for permission, presumes to them that for some reason you NEED permission, or why would you be asking. That gives them the power to decide. Well, guess what the usual answer is? Yes, and they put their butt on the line. No, and they're safe from criticism from superiors. What do you think the majority of them will say?

Actually the majority of them have thanked me for asking and then said it’s okay, sounds like you’ve had some bad experiences with people, the way I look at it is if I don’t own the property I NEED to ask and get permission to avoid any potential negative interactions. So far so good🤞

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On private property I would agree. Public property has posted rules. No need to ask if there's nothing against it. And I DO own the public land, along with all the other tax payers. It's just dealing with the people who manage it that can be a hassle. You've been lucky so far, and I hope it continues. Frankly, I've have better luck asking permission from private property owners than government officials. (when permission is needed)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread