Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello-
I dug this at a home built in 1840 near what used to be the carriage house, now a garage/party area.

Inside the bell it says "India 793"
Outside it's engraved "From Our House To Your House" with what look like star or snowflake patterns.
Appears to be brass,

Any info? I Googled it but didn't see much info, but pictures that closely resemble this one.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an old gift to a neighbor sentiment.
Could be a from a business gift too. (?)
Almost looks Swedish Christmassy , Not quit though.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1950's Sarna Bell. (as in "Bells of Sarna").

Q: I purchased 100 pounds of miniature bells. Most are Bells of Sarna from India and but some are from other countries. They are all from the 1940s and ’50s. It appears the man who owned them had a bell tree and when people came to visit on Christmas they brought a bell. Most of the bells are dated. Where can I find out about these ?

A: Bells of Sarna is a brand name used by a company founded by Sajan Singh Sarna in Manhasset, New York. He imported goods from India and sold them to dealers in the United States. Sarna began importing bells in 1938. The bells were often sold on thin ropes or chains and came with a tag that gave the story behind the bell. Sarna bells sell online for a variety of prices. Recent prices include a set of five different Sarna bells, two with story tags but not strung, $32; five brass Sarna bells on a rope, $12; and a string of four brass bells on a braided rope for $37.

s-l1600.jpg

Small-Brass-Etched-Bell-From-Our-House-To.jpg

D3dzaP6W4AEL_sS.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Charlie for finding a match, but some of that information (from an unknown website) is not entirely accurate.

Sajan Singh Sarna actually started his business in 1920 on the West Coast, importing handicrafts, trinkets and novelties from India. Initially he sold from mail-order catalogues then later also via department stores. He moved to New York in 1933, extending the range to include items from Japan and started importing bells from Indonesia in 1938 (although he was already importing them from India before this time).

The matched example Charlie found (said to be from the 1950s) actually has this on the bottom… “Bells of Sarna India”:

Sarna.jpg

If yours is just marked “India” with a number it will likely predate his trademark “Bells of Sarna”, registered in 1940 and continuously renewed until expiry in 2007.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread