🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Brass Finial?

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in a grass field across the street from an 1800's Tavern. It's 2 inches long with threads and 1 1/16 at its widest point. I also found a Reins guide in the same field about 50 feet from this item.

P1001405_WM.jpg
P1001406_WM.jpg
P1001407_WM.jpg
P1001408_WM.jpg
P1001410_WM.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Upvote 1
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be attached to same thing reins guide was. Maybe it was used for tying rope or reins
I had the same thought. Maybe there were several mounted down the sides of a freight wagon used to secure the load with rope.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
The arrow on the map.
Detector(s) used
My children and a good stick.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the rein guide look like that you found near this?

This item has been broken with parts missing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does the rein guide look like that you found near this?

This item has been broken with parts missing.
P1001404_WM.jpg

There you go. Thanks...

Upvote 0

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting. I don't see anything like the piece I found in those pics. Although I can't see everything without being able to zoom in either. Are you thinking the item I found belongs on horse harness?
It appears to be a water hook.. The piece where the overhead check attaches to the surcingle.. There are many differing styles of these... The one on our driving harness looks very much like yours

You can see an example in this harness.. look at the very centre of the harness

360_320fea56ad93788215503f3949ebe124.jpg
360_320fea56ad93788215503f3949ebe1241.jpg

Micheal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMO, it is definitely not a "water hook" or similar object from horse-harness... because it is way too small. The finder says it is 2-inches long (half of which is the threaded shaft), and its widest part is 11/16th-inch. The "cap" on it is a tad above 1/2-inch wide. That seems too short and stubby to do much other than retain a strap-end or leather flap, such a carriage's dropdown leather (or thick fabric) window-curtain.

• Agree
Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO, it is definitely not a "water hook" or similar object from horse-harness... because it is way too small. The finder says it is 2-inches long (half of which is the threaded shaft), and its widest part is 11/16th-inch. The "cap" on it is a tad above 1/2-inch wide. That seems too short and stubby to do much other than retain a strap-end or leather flap, such a carriage's dropdown leather (or thick fabric) window-curtain.
The width at the widest part is one, and one sixteenth inch. My mistake, in typing the original post I should have spelled it out.

Upvote 0

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will agree to disagree.. Not a problem.. On our pony harnesses, the water hook is pretty much that size.. maybe 1/4 inch taller

Micheal

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions