What's new

Brass item...Possibly navigational dividing compass?

hunterV3

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II & Etrac, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this about 200 yds from a nearby river in the middle of the woods. There's a lot of maritime history in the area back to 1700's. Not much else found in the area that day except an 1863 IH penny and dropped musket ball. I thought it was some kind of clip until I got it home and cleaned it. Looks like the round end is some kind of hinge and the other end had steel/iron maybe points that could be resharpened? Found about 8-9" deep.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00033.webp
    DSC00033.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC00038.webp
    DSC00038.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 200px-Dividers_1.webp
    200px-Dividers_1.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 325
Agreed, definitely a compass, and certainly for professional use, but used by whom would be hard to tell. I would expect it to have a makers name stamped on it somewhere, which might help date it.
 
Upvote 0
I have had it soaking in olive oil and now it actually opens!
 
Upvote 0
Excellent. Let us know if you find any markings. Being that it wasn't cheaply made it should have a mark somewhere -- or at least that's my guess.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom