This one is really puzzling me. Almost looks like a percussion hammer from a rifle, but looks like it would hold one end of a handle to a chest. There seems to be a countersunk hole showing at the broken end, where a screw may have been. Anyone up for a guess? Thank you for your thoughts, George.
OOO...it does. hmmm, from the depth of the dig and the proximity to the 1700-1800's bronze ship spikes, I am going to think it was not from a toilet seat. I do not think this island had any plumbing, as it is still uninhabited. This stuff is coming from deep in the clay out a few yards in the water. I do not find any modern-ish material in the depth of this and the spikes.
It must have been a catastrophic moment that destroyed the ship if way down in the captains head, the hinges to the seat were blown apart! : ) I will expand my search.