Broken Coil

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been at the beach and was cleaning up my 800 before going home. I just realized on of the tabs where the rod connects to the coil is broken.
Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a repair method?
I have had my 800 for about four years so I assume it is not under warranty.
Suggestions?? Help!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I have been at the beach and was cleaning up my 800 before going home. I just realized on of the tabs where the rod connects to the coil is broken.
Suggestions?? Help!!
Hi, bummer. Iv heard of the Nox coils breaking at that point before. It was a design fault I believe, or was told, and they eventually thickened or toughened up the "ears". Id personally, as its a known issue, contact Minelab and complain. I had an 800 myself, and though when I had it I heard early reports of them breaking mine didn't. Iv never seen a repair for that section of a coil last though.
They as a result, not Minelab but someone, made strengtheners for that section.
Here below.
37093f_18e5ec78cb884de592de71abcd52a0bc~mv2.jpg

Really they are too thin and brittle.
2abc35e54ba403053e6a0738cfe37028.jpg

Here's a link on those strengtheners.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem though under warranty. Here is a video by Gigmaster of the repair I made using his technique. Worked great. I went to the hardware store and bought a one foot square piece of 1/8” plastic and cut the ears. I eventually sent the coil back for replacement:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a rather common problem.

While Gigmaster's method works for many, if you are not so "mechanically inclined," here's another option. The nice thing about this option is that it serves dual purpose -- a "coil ear stiffener," similar to what are sold by various folks on ebay, etc., but ALSO it can be used if your coil ears are broken off (as there are plastic "washers" included that you use if your coil ears are broken off). So, you DON'T use the plastic washers if you are using it as just a stiffener, but you DO use the washers, if your coil ears are broken off. I thought this was a unique approach, so I ordered one just to check it out, and it seems to be well-made (though I don't use it on my coil, but will -- if my ears break). Since I haven't used it yet, I can't vouch for its durability, fit, etc., but again -- it seems like an easy way to "repair" a coil whose ears are broken off.

One note -- it does ship from the Ukraine, and given the situation there, the ebay ad notes possible delays...

Steve

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestions?? Help!!
See sphillips reply above for the best repair. I had both ears break in warranty and got the free replacement coil. BTW when the ears broke I was using a coil stiffener. So much for that idea. When my warranty expired I did the fix in Gigmaster's video above. It's been about 18 months and my coil ears are rock solid and I doubt they will ever break again with this fix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread