What's new

Bronze Statues

chicepo

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an antique shop with the wife yesterday and came back with two bronze statues.
The 1st one is of a girl on a swing 9 1/2" high and 5" wide on a green marble base. I did some research and found it was by the artist Gustave Moreau. The one I have is not signed and is a bit different then what I have found the net. I think it is a knock off but nice just the same. I paid $100.00 for it. Was it a good deal?

The 2nd has be baffeled. It is a statue of three boys carring baskets 11 1/2" wide and 8" high.
I can find no reference on the net to this one. Can anyone help.
 

Attachments

  • P1010111.webp
    P1010111.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 372
  • P1010112.webp
    P1010112.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 378
  • P1010113.webp
    P1010113.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 364
  • P1010114.webp
    P1010114.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 368
  • P1010115.webp
    P1010115.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 367
  • P1010116.webp
    P1010116.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 368
  • P1010117.webp
    P1010117.webp
    86.3 KB · Views: 351
Both of them are new recast, probably from China. In the past few years these reproductions have filled the market. Antique shops sell them for originals, most of the time at inflated prices...Luckily you paid probably a fair price for them. I was at a dealer-importers shop in Dallas, Texas not long ago. His entire showroom was full of Bronze.. Small to large statues. Priced from 35 dollars to about 1000.00.
All brand new from mainly China. They are resold from 100.00 to probably $3000.00 to unsuspecting customer's as being old. Most of them if you inspect them, still have the plaster somewhere on them from the casting process. The dealers normally use furniture sticks to color the white spots.
Sorry for the rant..They have destroyed the real Bronze market.
DG
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom