Bucket of Arrowheads

Black Dog

Greenie
Feb 11, 2010
Didn't get the lot that I posted about before, too much $ & felt that I din't know enough about them to risk it. I was able to win a bucket of arrowheads for 80$ As you can see there are about 5-6 axe heads in the bucket with some big piece on top-not sure what it is. The arrowheads are on the bottom of all the heavy stuff. Have to pick it up tomorrow & will post pics later. Any ideas on what that big piece is?

Attachments

• 70733.jpg
    70733.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
I don't know what the big one is but look forward to finding out and seeing pics of everything.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is going to be fun !!!! Look forward to it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Black Dog

Greenie
Feb 11, 2010
Well went to pick up my bucket today & as I was walking out of the house a guy stopped me. He was checking to make sure I had the right items I had bid for& won-was an internet estate sale. He said that his father & him had found all of the items I had & the other lot that I didn't win. Wanting to know more of course where they came from I asked. He said that his dad would go & when he was old enough he would get to go searching for Indian items. He said his dad went in the late 50's & he got to go in the early 60's. Turns out they would search & had the best luck along the Mattaponi River & Pamunkey River. They would start upriver & walk down towards were the rivers meet. I searched on the net & it seems like this about the area of Jamestown/ Yorktown!!
Well I need some help to know what I have.
The big item is made out of stone & is curved- looks like a big piece of bark.
Right below that, the gray stone is I guess a tomahawk- looks like a small axe head. There are a few of them.
A lot of the rocks have dimple in them not sure what for??
Why are some of the arrowheads so small?
Check out the 2 items that are white- looks like teeth?
All 5 pics show all items, let me know if any are good, rare or if you want close ups. Thanks again for helping

Attachments

• IMG_4958.JPG
    IMG_4958.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_4959.JPG
    IMG_4959.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_4961.JPG
    IMG_4961.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_4962.JPG
    IMG_4962.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_4963.JPG
    IMG_4963.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 497
OP
OP
B

Black Dog

Greenie
Feb 11, 2010
Forgot about the small round disks, there are about a half dozen. They are about a half inch high & look like thich cuts of carrots?? Some of the rocks look like square pegs that have been shaped

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Looks like you did pretty well, that's a nice collection of eastern Va. artifacts.

"A lot of the rocks have dimple in them not sure what for??"

Some of those are called nutting stones and were made to crush nuts to eat, most of your dimpled pieces look like hammerstones and discoidals.

"Why are some of the arrowheads so small?"

The small triangular pieces are true arrowheads, shot from a bow, and are small for penetration and aerodynamics.

You've got a few questionably paleo looking pieces in that group of arrowheads and those would be your most rare and valued pieces when it comes to flint artifacts.* I just looked at the measuring tape and I think some of the " paleo" pieces I was seeing are more likely woodland and mississippian triangles...still though you cleaned up at that price.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well. There are some real nice points in all of that. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $80 you did great.............. :icon_thumright:

I was at an auction in Missouri 20+ years ago where there were some fluted axes, I did not realize how hard they are to find or I would have kept bidding...They were selling for under a $100 at an auction on a farm that bodered the Missouri river, and found on the farmer's property.......

Tdurre01

Greenie
Jun 5, 2008
effingham,il
Well you sure did get a extremely good bargian i would say that you have around $5000 to $6000 there but history is priceless.The arrowheads are made from obsidian and are most likely thin and small small like thirty i believe said so they could penetrate easily and be arodynamic the are thin so if penetrate the target they break and it is like shratnel and grinds and kills the target faster and if you dont hit a vital well they will bleed out. The round stones that are like ovals they are used for cracking the nuts in the rocks with small dimples some with the dimples might not be artifacts some might just be from water dripping or water passing over a depression that was already there so erosion may be to blame. the bark like piece is most likely a bowl or a grinding stone to make multiple things like grinding tobacco or making corn meal they also used the oval things for this purpose to help the grinding and crushing. some of those you might want to take to the local university and have them carbon dated some of the arrowheads seem to be older than indians i found some arrowheads a while back and i had them dated they werent indian artifacts but caveman artifacts i thought it would make them worth more but instead extremely less. Also it seems you have some knife blades. Which are worth more than arrowheads some that are in very good conditon are worth around $500-$600 hundred dollars. But then again just depends who you get them from and where you look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread