Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started today's hunt collecting some clad and that got old with the can shred that abounded, so I left and headed to the farm. Passing through the corn field I recovered a deer slug and a brass "D" buckle that rang in at 76; thought I had a coin there.

Left the corn field and back on the grass I got a signal that was 60s, maybe 70 but only in one direction, nothing much in the other direction. Dug the hole and saw what appeared to be a coin or button at the side of the hole. Somehow I missed it with the predator tool. Turned out to be an 1877 CC dime, my second seated dime from this site. 1877CC_SD.jpg

A little while later, still searching the same general area, another signal sounded tempting. It was beneath roots and rocks. I actually flipped it out with my digging. Turns out to be yet another CC dime, this time 1876, worn like the 1877, so they were likely lost at the same time.1876CC_SD.jpg

A crazy day. There was one other daily-double at this site, the day I recovered an 1821 LC and an 1818 within about 15 feet of one another.
Glad I decided to hunt this site. If it has ever been detected before, they left me some keepers.

1877 CC dig:

1876 CC dig:

Last edited:
Upvote 34
Wow, a double header! I never figured to find a CC mint coin this far east (Virginia), but now you've given me hope! Congrats on some fine coins!

Thx sprailroad! Been watching some of the Relic Rangers videos and looks like you see more "S" mints that we do east. Since the Carson City mint was in operation for just 19 years and being in Nevada you'd think we wouldn't find that many here, but a number of find here in Baltimore have been CC.

Thx kcm! Really like that Don Williams quote; it puts life in perspective.

Thx Professor! The dimes came at the end of the hunt. They represent the 9th and 10th pre-1900 coins I've dug at this site.

Thanks Jamie! You're right. Finding two in an area I'd passed through made me wonder if there were more. Maybe there are.

thx ddf! Really glad to hear of the permission obtained. My wife is very supportive of my detecting as well. Very thankful that she tolerates my dirt diggin' and we both enjoy the history.

Thx ScubaDetector! You've got me curious now. Have any of your CC or O mint coins come from the water?

Thx Tommy G! Appreciate you checking out the post. Think the banks must have received an ample supply for circulation here in the mid-Atlantic. The first time I found one I was thinking as you were that it seemed very rare to see one here, sort of like "S" mint coins.

What an incredible pair of finds- tough enough to find one "CC" coin, never mind 2 in one hunt! Huge Congrats to you!

-- Jeff --

Thx Jeff! Interesting that the coins from this site include 4 LCs and now 3 seated dimes.

A day to remember that's for sure, two seated cc's on one hunt. Wow, Congrats!!

Thx deershed! Just put each of the dimes in coin holders this evening. Two more "rescues".

BTW, still looking for my first shed of 2017.

What an awesome day you had McCDig, 2 Seated in one hunt. A big congrats on a day to remember for sure. :notworthy:

Thanks L-D! You know what that feels like. You can't believe it, but that's a detectorist's life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back