budhist item

solafi

Oct 9, 2010
someone found this item in a cave, its made up of solid bronze, it has an opening in its bottom, we open it and found a 2 page old brown paper with a Japanese(not sure) writings in it. the person who refer this to me says someone tried to buy it at US$10,000 way back in 1996, but the supposed buyer never return. any idea about this item? probable prize? japanese who want to read the writings can email me

Attachments

• BUDHIST.jpg
    BUDHIST.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 349

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a fairly recent product. I found an old Budda statue that was appraised by the Birmingham museum.
It was dated to the KoGryYo Dynasty, Korea, which is about 500 a.d., or thereabouts. The value of my item was
fixed at $650.00. It was not as fancy or nice-looking as yours appears to be. But, yours doesn't have the aged look.
I would have to see it/hold it to make any more assumptions.
If you are considering buying it, then I would take it to a museum for some expert advise, and maybe you might see
one just like it in the museum.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Looks like it's made itself at home :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

solafi

Oct 9, 2010
shaun7 said:
Looks like it's made itself at home :laughing7:

yes, indeed they said they made it at home. they already got it. an interested man came, got the old script he cameback after a month with a japanese who says its their family property. he also said that the item has no value at all what they value is the history behind it.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
Neat item.As for the no value comment , dont believe it.Any early chinese bronze is worth money.First it looks like chinese not japanese.Hard to tell from the photo but she looks like Gaunyin a well known chinese diety. Cant tell what she is holding. The papers in the bottom are prayers of one form or another.This was common in eastern religious bronzes. It is said to be bad luck to remove them. [personally I dont believe in luck]. I have yet to meet anyone who can cast a bronze at home?. I may have read your post wrong or missed part of the story but if you owned it and a man came and claimed it , sounds like you got dupped by a con artist. With better photos I could tell you more. :dontknow:

OP
OP
S

solafi

Oct 9, 2010
dr-quest said:
Hello
Neat item.As for the no value comment , dont believe it.Any early chinese bronze is worth money.First it looks like chinese not japanese.Hard to tell from the photo but she looks like Gaunyin a well known chinese diety. Cant tell what she is holding. The papers in the bottom are prayers of one form or another.This was common in eastern religious bronzes. It is said to be bad luck to remove them. [personally I dont believe in luck]. I have yet to meet anyone who can cast a bronze at home?. I may have read your post wrong or missed part of the story but if you owned it and a man came and claimed it , sounds like you got dupped by a con artist. With better photos I could tell you more. :dontknow:

sorry about the photo i dont have camera, just took it by my celphone. she is holding a baby. dupped by a con artist? what ever, we hate different strangers popping up to check it and even putting our security at risk, were relieved its gone. a prayer? this interest me bcoz i still have the xerox copy, but the man says, its just an account by the bearer saying sorry to his family because he choose to serve his country than his family. but anyway here it is, just for my curiosity, you might be able to interpret it and see if this is really a prayer or a letter as the japanese said. this is the first of the two pages

1stpagez.jpg

By dollarbagger at 2011-01-13

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Bud I cant read oriental writing. I am only telling you what I know from 30 years as an antique dealer & auctioneer.Most are prayers of one sort or another but this may say what the man told you it says but if its early and bronze it was worth money.I must be missing parts of the story though because I dont understand strangers poping in and threatening security??.Have anything old you want rid of, just call a local auctioneer and he`ll send you a check. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread