What's new

Buffalo Nickel #6, Before and After Date Restorer Pics

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Picked up another box of nickels and went through it with a friend this morning. Also got 13 rolls of halves and $5 loose in halves. The 13 rolls yielded 6 40% silver halves (not all too shabby). But the box of nickels yielded a 'dateless' buffalo nickel, my 6th for the year. Attached are pics of before and after I used nic-a-date to restore the date on it. It is a 1916, which I had never found before, making this the 19th different Buffalo nickel I have found in circulation in my life. Man, those really were nice looking coins, it's a shame the date wore off so relatively easily.

Before (with and without flash):

picture140-1.jpg


picture141-1.jpg


picture143-1.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Geez Doc, that stuff works pretty good. How does nic a date work? Does any coin store carry it? I have some no dates that I thought were lost causes, but that stuff might let them tell me their birthday.. Gpurs..
 
Thanks for the post. I had been wondering how well nic a date worked.
Guess I will have to get some now !!

VPR
 
Yes it is to bad the dates wore off. It is also a problem with the Standing Liberty Quarters.
 
They sell Nic-a-date date restorer for nickels at most coin shops, or you can find it on Ebay. That's where I got my bottle. It sells for like $8. The bottle is quite small but you literally use one drip per coin. I have used it on about 30 buffalo nickels to restore the date and it worked every time. Also my bottle still looks full, as the quantity in there is going to last a lifetime, I feel. It's truly amazing, you watch the date appear before you very eyes! Haha, that sounded corny...yet it's so true!

I believe it works by means of a chemical reaction between the solution (nic-a-date) and the denser metal around the date (or mint mark, or any of the other features). It eats away at the denser metal around the date, therefore "raising" the date. When the coin is made, the date is one of the highest points on the coin and thus is the least dense (or 'crushed') area of the coin. Anyone else have a better explanation?
 
Nic-a-Date is the bomb!! I bought mine in 1999 and received this 1¼ oz. bottle and thought "This won't last me a month!" Eight years and some 80 coins later and the bottle is still 95% full. This stuff might outlast me! I bought a dateless roll of buffalos on eBay just to have some fun with it. BTW, do not try Nic-a-Date on silver coins. It only works on copper-nickel.
 
Thanks for the replies Doc and Immy. Fantastic stuff it is. I will head to the coin store today to pick some up, (and also see if he has a roll or bag of dateless buffalos)..Thanks again for the info, and HH!! Gpurs....
 
What would it do to the resale value of a key date? I know it was "worthless" before the date is restored.

Nice finds. I can't get enough boxes of nickels to make a serious go at it. :'(

HH.
 
everybody says you can resale restored date buffalo nickels for over a quarter each, but i think if i saw a key date or semi key i needed, i would buy it. good suggestion about not using that one silver. that nic a date turns silver black. if you can't get to any nic a date, try soaking them in white vingar. it takes a couple weeks, but it still works.
 
Um, I have turned up a 1915D, which is a sort-of-semi-key I think. As far as resale, I think they go for about 1/2 of what they would sell for in AG-Good if the date was still naturally intact. At least that is my experience in watching how much they sell for on Ebay.
 
That's right. In the past it wasn't uncommon for a 14-D or a 21-S to go for $5-$10 on eBay, and that's before buffalo values went up. There's definitely a market for budget collectors looking to fill holes, just be sure that your ad clearly mentions that they're restored dates or "acid dates."

When I find a buffalo I kinda hope it's dateless! I've already found two 21-S's and one 14-D.
 
Yeah! The good thing about dateless Buffaloes is that they are almost ALWAYS older dates. I have yet to find a dateless that was newer than 1919 I think.
 
How well does it work on the reverse to restore the mintmark? I got a dateless one a couple of months back, but I know it is a 1913 because it has the old style of mound the buffalo is standing on. I just do not know the mintmark.
 
If you use it on the reverse the mintmark will show up also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom