What's new

Bullet ID needed - Modern or old? ***SOLVED***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this up at an old property today. Is this bullet old or modern? :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-288S.webp
    MVC-288S.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 279
  • MVC-289S.webp
    MVC-289S.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 261
Re: Bullet ID needed - Modern or old?

Answer: old. Specifically, it is a US .45-70 rifle bullet, used by the US Army from the early-1870s through the Spanish-American war (1898). Afterward, many were sold as war-surplus, and used for deerhunting, etc.

A couple of other TreasureNet folks have dug them in the past two weeks. One of them is here (with a lot more info for you). http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,384101.0.html
 

Attachments

  • bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.webp
    bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 215
  • bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.webp
    bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Re: Bullet ID needed - Modern or old?

Totally agree with cannonball guy. Must have been a bunch of them sold surplus. I've found 4 of them. All in locations with a history of early 1900's to 1930's. I know one thing. I wouldn't want to have been hit with one of those slugs.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Bullet ID needed - Modern or old?

TheCannonballGuy said:
Answer: old. Specifically, it is a US .45-70 rifle bullet, used by the US Army from the early-1870s through the Spanish-American war (1898). Afterward, many were sold as war-surplus, and used for deerhunting, etc.

A couple of other TreasureNet folks have dug them in the past two weeks. One of them is here (with a lot more info for you). http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,384101.0.html

TCG,
Thanks so much for that ID and history lesson. :thumbsup: That's the first bullet I've dug from that era. I'll label it as such. :thumbsup: I dug it up at an early 1800's property along where an old stagecoach road runs through it.
Very happy with this find. :hello2:
-MM-

RickyD said:
Totally agree with cannonball guy. Must have been a bunch of them sold surplus. I've found 4 of them. All in locations with a history of early 1900's to 1930's. I know one thing. I wouldn't want to have been hit with one of those slugs.

Thanks Ricky. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom