Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burdie & additional stories of the JD hunt

I am still on a high from that hunt. ;D Monty wanted the story on the halter. Well here it is.
I picked up a good signal. When checking for size I discover it is 2 feet long. OH brother! I have a great civil war find. So I stomped on my shovel and it went a mighty two inches into the ground. I wiggled the shovel to try getting deeper. That is when I noticed an inch of rope sticking out of the ground. Well I tried to pull on it and heard this horse wine. Ok maybe the rope just gave a little. So I dug more of the rope up. I then realize what it is and I also noticed it is getting deeper in the ground. My first thought was there better not be a dead horse at the other end of this halter!! I then gave a mighty pull and it came loose. When I entered camp I got some very strange looks. I told everyone I just couldn’t drag the horse in and that it was still out there some where. I would go back out there later to find it. I go back later and find parts of horse shoes but no horse.
The owner said it was fairly old and was lost before he had moved there. He didn’t say how long that was.
The horse halter: find.jpg

The coin story.
coin.jpg

After hearing about the coins, needles to say it was on my mind. Then about an hour after I went back out to hunt I get this coin signal. I said no way!! Then I realize it is a coin. So my heart starts pounding as I dig a big plug. I did not want to scratch this beautiful coin. In one of the dirt clods I see a greenish colored coin sticking out. An Indian head it just has to be!!! My hands were shaking so much I thought I was going to drop the coin. I gently pull the coin from the dirt clod still can't quite make it out. Ever so gently I rub my thumb across the surface. WHAT! A damn 1976 Rosie!! I looked up into the heavens and caught my self saying out loud. That’s not funny!!!!
I looked around hoping no one heard me. ::) ::)

Burdie

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Re: Burdie & additional stories of the JD hunt

Great story. I think I might have helped you dig a horse shoe...........did some guy 'take over' one of your holes and 'help' you finish pulling it out of the ground? That was me. Sorry for being a bit overzealous in my offer to help.

I dug a horse shoe, myself. I wonder who dug the horse?

It was great meeting you, and I hope to have the pleasure again.

Roger

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ramjet, Now I can place the face and call name!!! Thank goodness you came buy. I was a tired old man by that time of day. I need to get one of those shovels. Do they come with hydrolics?

Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Burdie...let's not talk about Roger's new shovel right now, K? :D Just kiddin Rog! :-*
I can't believe ya'll found all those horseshoes and I didn't even get a half of one! And that is just too funny about the Rosie! :D Heck, all I wanted was one little 'ole dropped three ringer...and I got it! You are going to have to restore that bridle and hang it on the wall to keep your memory fresh of the great times we had Burdie. ;)

Nana :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

awww man! how the hell does a 76 roosie get to be in the middle of nowhere like that!! glad to hear you had a great time at the hunt!

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas

I was wondering what that old piece of rope was doing just laying by my chair. Guess now I know. I tried to give it to Outback, but he wouldnt take it. I am glad he didnt now, I didnt know it was yours.... LOL.
Nice find.

~Kansas~

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

Burdie- Great story. I talked to Mr. Landowner (Dave I think) and he said him and his wife had lived there for almost 32 years. So the halter has to be older than that if he doesn't remember it.

99Brown

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice story Burdie, good to hear! HH, Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Great Story Burdie! I wish I would have been near you when you looked to the Heavens ...hahaha...I would have died laughing!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Burdie,
Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing !
Hope to see y'all at the next one :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread